Increased police presence.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

Cyclists too! Interesting to observe in the many CommuterCam videos on you tube how many cyclists (incidental to the point of the footage) fail to indicate or shoulder check when pulling out past stopped traffic or changing lanes

I know what you mean, it can be a quite distracting when anyone, cyclists included, hasn't indicated their intention. However, there are situations that I sometimes feel I can't arm-indicate when cycling because of the amount of traffic and the road surface (seriously). I hope that a shoulder check and my position on the road is enough of an indication in those situations.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Some more at vauxhall bridge this morning. A shame they don't pick me out, it would be amusing having them tell me I'm not visible enough with my bright ass lights shining in their faces.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

Some more at vauxhall bridge this morning. A shame they don't pick me out, it would be amusing having them tell me I'm not visible enough with my bright ass lights shining in their faces.

We must kinda pass each other Gaz, I cycle from Vauxhall up Albert Embankment and over Lambeth Bridge of a morning :-)

PK99

Legendary Member
2779651 said:
Shoulder check for one's own safety but indicate? What does anyone imagine a cyclist is going to do when coming up behind a stopped bus, run into it?

Stop behind it and wait for it to move off?

Cyclecraft:
By definition, all movements involve a change in your position on the road, and often a change relative to the position of following vehicles in a way that might not be easily predicted. Clear signalling of movements is therefore important in order to inform others and enhance your own safety.

If cyclists want to complain about motorists not signalling then they themselves should follow this basic guidance.

Last edited:

spen666

Legendary Member
Only issue on my cycle to work today in London was that at one point the cycle superhighway was obstructed by a parked vehicle (on a red route incidentally), causing cyclists to pull out into the 2 lanes of traffic alongside the cycle super highway.

A police officer was stood nearby as part of the increased safety campaign watching this. He took no action on this vehicle causing the obstruction

Probably because it was his vehicle causing the obstruction and danger!!

PK99

Legendary Member
2779691 said:
1TMN2TMN?

eh?

PK99

Legendary Member
I know what you mean, it can be a quite distracting when anyone, cyclists included, hasn't indicated their intention. However, there are situations that I sometimes feel I can't arm-indicate when cycling because of the amount of traffic and the road surface (seriously). I hope that a shoulder check and my position on the road is enough of an indication in those situations.

Granted, I know just what you mean eg around road works, in busy traffic: two hands needed to steer the bike, none available to signal. In that case, I agree shoulder checking and early predictable movements are preferable.

Cyclecraft caveats its guidance on signalling with:
"yadda yadda...without putting your self at risk"

Frood42

I know where my towel is
One cyclist, Harriet Lamb, told us in an email of her experience of being stopped by police as she rode across Vauxhall Bridge, with an officer telling her: “Hi, we’re stopping all cyclists in light of the recent cyclist fatalities, to make sure that you’re making yourselves as safe as possible. Obviously it’s great that you have lights on and are wearing a helmet, but have you considered wearing a hi-viz jacket?”
She replied: “No, I’ve got really bright lights, reflective material on my coat and my bike, and I position myself in the road so that I can be seen.”
The officer then said: “I just think that if a driver wasn’t wearing their glasses then they might not be able to see you.”
Harriett asked him: “Do you not think that a driver driving around half-blind is more the problem?”
“Well, we’re just here to talk to cyclists,” continued the officer.

:cursing: about the officer

Top Bottom