Increased police presence.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidsw8

So, I think this is pretty good news and as an immediate solution, I think it's very helpful:

http://content.met.police.uk/News/Road-safety-operation-across-London/1400021177206/1257246745756

It certainly isn't sustainable in the long-term as they don't have the man power so the trouble with that is that as soon as their backs are turned, the errant drivers and cyclists will be up to their old tricks again. Clearly the longer term solution is better infrastructure and harsher penalties for traffic offences.

This morning by the Dog House pub in Kennington, there was a PC on foot and one on a motorbike, as soon as the lights went red, the PC on foot was having a word with a couple of the amber gambling, ASZ-violating motorists. Shame they weren't at Lambeth Bridge to catch the cabby and motorbike blatantly RLJ.

Station a couple of PC's at Lambeth Bridge south side and you've got a license to printing money, I mean they got £2.5K in fines in 4 hours just from the HGV drivers.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
It is good, but the problem is they don't do it enough to get the message clearly across.

MichaelO

Veteran
There was a noticeable presence along CS7 today (from Tooting to Clapham Common). A cyclist in front of me was pulled in at Tooting Broadway - no idea why - I'd been following him since Mitcham, and couldn't see he'd done anything wrong!

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

There was a noticeable presence along CS7 today (from Tooting to Clapham Common). A cyclist in front of me was pulled in at Tooting Broadway - no idea why - I'd been following him since Mitcham, and couldn't see he'd done anything wrong!

They're pulling some cyclists over for stuff like no helmet etc., which isn't 'wrong' really but they're giving general safety advice I guess.

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...

Did he have any lights?:hello: It's weird how many I follow who have no lights or pretty poor ones.I even saw two community officers the other day without rear working lights.I guess they though hi-viz was sufficient.(Leytonstone High Street) weould have been interested to see what happened when the cop van that passed me a few minutes later,whether it pulled them up but I very much doubt it.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

He had one on the back ;) And it was about 8am by then...

Off topic slightly but it REALLY boggles my mind when someone has a rear light but not a front one, what's that all about?! It's like they don't wanna be hit from behind but what about the ped who doesn't see them coming or the HGV driver that can't see them coming up behind them. Madness!

Leodis

Veteran
I don't find a plod telling me to wear a helmet or HiViz much help in stopping the root cause of the problem, if anything its very condescending towards cyclists.

Cyclists who were stopped were advised of a range of safety measures they can take, such as wearing helmets and high visibility jackets.

Why would looking like a twat head to toe in Hiviz do anything? There is no evidence it makes the blindest bit of difference.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

I don't find a plod telling me to wear a helmet or HiViz much help in stopping the root cause of the problem, if anything its very condescending towards cyclists.

Why would looking like a twat head to toe in Hiviz do anything? There is no evidence it makes the blindest bit of difference.

They're not focussing on helmets and hi-viz, they're giving general safety advice to everyone and clamping down on traffic offences when they see them. If you choose to ignore the advice, that's entirely your choice but the intention is good.

Leodis

Veteran
They're not focussing on helmets and hi-viz, they're giving general safety advice to everyone and clamping down on traffic offences when they see them. If you choose to ignore the advice, that's entirely your choice but the intention is good.

Not its not, it is a show of force to move the blame on the victims. If someone cycles without wearing a helmet they are pretty sure of the choice they have made, the same goes for been told to wear HiViz its patronising.

If the police want to do something maybe they could deal with the 1.2 Million uninsured drivers, the hundreds of thousands of drivers using mobiles and eating breakfast whilst driving and enforce the law so when attacks on cyclists happen the offenders are not given a caution but taken to court. Stopping someone and telling them to wear hiviz or a helmet is something of nothing other than to blame cyclists for "not making themselves seen", never mind drivers not paying attention to the road.. Ooo no we cant target drivers, its a vote loser.

What does their "general safety advice" consist of I wonder? Ride in the gutter? Be nice to your superiors, who can afford cars? Seriously, who provided the script? Any input from cycling organisation? Or is it made up as they go along? I'm not convinced PC's are expert in safety. PR exercise only. Although it would be nice to have comment from those who have now been "advised"!

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

Not its not, it is a show of force to move the blame on the victims. If someone cycles without wearing a helmet they are pretty sure of the choice they have made, the same goes for been told to wear HiViz its patronising.

If the police want to do something maybe they could deal with the 1.2 Million uninsured drivers, the hundreds of thousands of drivers using mobiles and eating breakfast whilst driving and enforce the law so when attacks on cyclists happen the offenders are not given a caution but taken to court. Stopping someone and telling them to wear hiviz or a helmet is something of nothing other than to blame cyclists for "not making themselves seen", never mind drivers not paying attention to the road.. Ooo no we cant target drivers, its a vote loser.

lol they are dealing with those people! They issued £2.5K in fines to HGV drivers in 4 hours yesterday.

Leodis

Veteran
lol they are dealing with those people! They issued £2.5K in fines to HGV drivers in 4 hours yesterday.

Give over, they could have spent their time doing more of the same rather than patronising cyclists about what to wear. If a plod pulled me over and told me to wear HiViz I'd tell him to jog on.

Reactions: 4F
Top Bottom