Increasing cadence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
75 rpm isn't really low cadence anyway, it's not like you're grinding a big gear.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Deactivate your front derailleur and use the 34 tooth chainring all the time. I had that forced on me when my front derailleur packed up on an Oxford-London ride. Due to laziness, I remained on the 34T for a year or more.

BTW, it didn't make me a better cyclist but my cadence increased.

I had the impression that a high cadence was less tiring/better on the knees.

I know I did the dynamo one year making an effort to keep the cadence up and I just seemed to breeze it.

TonySJ

Regular
I'm at the same point as the OP. My average cadence for virtually every ride is 72rpm.
I have been cycling 2 years in December and I feel my fitness is good for my age.
I'm 55yrs your and average 17mph on a 1000ft per 10 mile ride.
I tried to cycle my usual 17 mile training ride which has 1300ft of elevation at 95rpm cadence. I was totally fooked and slower than normal.
I don't think high cadence suits everyone who only ride for recreation, the pros well that's different...

vickster

Legendary Member
I had the impression that a high cadence was less tiring/better on the knees.

I know I did the dynamo one year making an effort to keep the cadence up and I just seemed to breeze it.
Pedalling faster actually hurts my knackered knee much more than a lower cadence with more resistance.

Pedalling faster actually hurts my knackered knee much more than a lower cadence with more resistance.
interesting - my knees are fine but I did have the impression that I was using less energy. I do know that many beginner cyclists do tend to use a low cadence, sort of thinking that that the increased resistance means that they are somehow using the "advantage" of gearing more. Always makes me think of stalling on my long distant car driving lessons.

I also remember being puzzled/impressed by some old school CTC folk I used to cycle with - behind them, and a fair bit younger in years, it dawned on me that their pedalling looked way more relaxed than mine.

Venod

Eh up
When I was younger I could push big gears I was doing a lot of running at the time so I used to think it would strengthen my legs for the hills, :wacko:
Now I am older I am definitely a spinner, I managed 60mile @ 18mph average with an average cadence of 100 a couple of years ago, most rides are between 85 to 95 average.

mgs315

Agreed on positive sentiments towards spinning here. I just find it way less knackering for a whole ride duration. My CV system can recover in seconds to minutes whereas that force through the legs will be with me for the rest of the way.

My low gear is 34-32 and you know what I don’t have any qualms using it despite climbing being a comparative strong point for me (I’m little). If it helps me keep my cadence where I want it I’ll happily spin away at 90-100rpm up a hill. Much rather that than destroy my quads and knees.

When I was younger I could push big gears I was doing a lot of running at the time so I used to think it would strengthen my legs for the hills, :wacko:.

:smile: yes, rings true, I think it's some sort of religious idea about pain/suffering/work being good for you. Whereas it has long seemed to me that technology (post galileo/archimedes or whoever) can actually give you the result without the pain.

CXRAndy

Guru
Long climbs try and stay above 80rpm, adjust gearing to achieve this. shorter climb you can let cadence drop to 70rpm. Long distance rides it's much easier on your legs to keep a higher cadence. ignore speed, ride to a fast comfortable cadence and lower zone 2-3 heart rate

huwsparky

Über Member
I don't believe solely working on cadence is of any benefit whatsoever. As your fitness/power increases your cadence will naturally increase as a by-product of becoming a more powerful cyclist. Having a higher cadence doesn't really mean anything on it's own.

Usually before any workout on the turbo I have a 15min warmup which finishes on 120rpm which at the resistance I'm pedaling equates to about 330w. The 120rmp is the last 2min of the warmup which usually see's me at about 95% of HR max. In general riding at around 85rpm I can make this power way way easier at probably around 80% HR max. My point being. I can (like anyone) spin at 120 or whatever but no way is that my most efficient way of making a deisred output. There's no point forcing a perticular cadence as it's meaningless. Concentrate on making more power and the rest will look after itself.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Long climbs try and stay above 80rpm, adjust gearing to achieve this. shorter climb you can let cadence drop to 70rpm. Long distance rides it's much easier on your legs to keep a higher cadence. ignore speed, ride to a fast comfortable cadence and lower zone 2-3 heart rate
Frankly I’d find that impossible*
Again, where is the proof that high cadence is any kind of universal panacea for bike riding?

I’m not convinced that low cadence is particulary bad for knees either....

*I rode 2 years with a club constantly being told to spin and I simply didn’t improve until going back to my natural cadence. I have tried...

Last edited:
Top Bottom