Increasing Mileage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stu Smith

Veteran
When training for my distance running it was the rule of thumb to increase the weekly long run by 10% and the weekly mileage by 10% each week...
Is this the same with cycling ?

I've just started to cycle after running , I feel that I'm reasonably fit my average weekly running mileage was 35 -45 miles..

My longest bike ride to date was today being 32 mile atAverage of 15.3 mph,I want to train myself up to cycle 100 mile in 6 hrs or under.. Do I increase by 10% or could I go for more ???

amaferanga

Veteran
I suspect you could increase it my more than 10%. Unlike running there's little chance of you getting injured. You'll just get tired, heavy legs if you do too much so just listen to your body and back off for a week if fatigue is becoming too much.

Glover Fan

Extra 5 miles on your longest ride a week would be my suggestion, but there is no definitive answer. Once you can cycle 60/70 miles you can probably cycle 100, but seeing as you have set yourself a time target you will just have to get the mileage in the legs on a regular basis.

How does everyone figure out their mileage? Should I purchase some kind of speedometer?

OR you could do what I did at the beginning ...............find your distance by certain markers then use a stopwatch to find your time. The rest is just math x

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I think you can add distance faster cycling, provided you listen to your body and dont keep trying to hit a distance target if joints etc are hurting. I jumped from about 30 miles in one go to 50 this week, if it hadnt have been so hot it probably would have been very very easy.

I tend to pick more circular routes, or routes where i can bail out and get the train if im really struggling, when im trying a longer distance though.

Zofo

Veteran
You should look to increase your TIME spent on the bike by around 10% with each long ride. Your body doesn't know how far it's gone, only how long it's been going for.

OP
OP
Stu Smith

Stu Smith

Veteran
You should look to increase your TIME spent on the bike by around 10% with each long ride. Your body doesn't know how far it's gone, only how long it's been going for.

I seem to be fixed on more miles..But increasing the time on bike seems to be a good idea to me,
Would think I would also need to keep up a good pace too..

Zofo

Veteran
Would think I would also need to keep up a good pace too..

Yes for the "century" your aiming for I would advise pacing yourself around the 15 mph you've done already. I can recommend Joe Friels book "Riding past 50" -- ignore the title, it's good for any age-- it has some great stuff on training for endurance rides.
Good luck.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Double your distance works well up to around 60 miles, then add 50%. A vital task is to get fit enough that you can recover on the bike; so if you've overdone it you can slow down and recuperate, then continue. You can always plot your route later on (e.g.) bikely.com or bikehike.co.uk to check distance.

Top Bottom