Increasing Pension Contributions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
As my company pension scheme is based on Salary Sacrifice. I'm going to up my contributions to negate the increase in NI in 2022......more going into my pot and less into theirs

anyone else thinking of doing it??

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
CTW scheme, although I don't need another bike. Our pension isn't Salary Sacrifice though - we can only do AVC's

Yes the new NI scheme is crap. 1% on 40% taxpayers would work better, but Boris' chums wouldn't like it.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
As my company pension scheme is based on Salary Sacrifice. I'm going to up my contributions to negate the increase in NI in 2022......more going into my pot and less into theirs

anyone else thinking of doing it??
If you don't mind me asking, what % were you paying in, and what have you upped it to? I currently put in 9.3% but that's NHS. I wonder if I put in more, would my employer up there's too or would it just be me paying in more?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you don't mind me asking, what % were you paying in, and what have you upped it to? I currently put in 9.3% but that's NHS. I wonder if I put in more, would my employer up there's too or would it just be me paying in more?

Your employer won't put more in - the amount's defined by the 'actuary' for those schemes.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
AVC's in education aren't really worth it and the teacher's scheme doesn't allow top-ups. I'll just pay the extra tax :cry:

No extra bikes needed at the moment so no CTW either.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

CTW scheme, although I don't need another bike. Our pension isn't Salary Sacrifice though - we can only do AVC's

Yes the new NI scheme is crap. 1% on 40% taxpayers would work better, but Boris' chums wouldn't like it.
im putting in 5% - company puts in 9%(Max amount)....but i can put in as much as i require and the companies max would be 9%

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I've already been putting in the maximum to my pension, I can't put in any more as it'll take me below the national minimum wage.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Only 5%, you need nearer 10%. I put in around 10% and my employer 22%
i put in what i can afford..........at the mo its 5%, but looking to put in 7% in april. My partner is retired due to ill health, so only 1 adult wage coming into our house and a very small pension contribution from my Mrs

potsy

Rambler
I put in the max for our scheme 6% with my employer putting in 9%.
Can put in AVCs but haven't looked into that properly, or know if it's worthwhile.

si_c

Guru
I'm putting in 9.3% for my NHS pension scheme although that is likely to rise in the near future. Currently the NHS contributes just under 15% but that was supposed to rise to 20% in April 2021, however that was deferred because of COVID.

Maximising your pension contributions now, regardless of motivation, is the best course of action anyone can take for their future, especially given that a general savings account is pointless currently.

Slightly different but I have paid into a pension most of my life (a couple of breaks when I was unemployed or training)
And also been paying Nat Insurance all that time

I checked my NI records and I was over 40 years so the letter said I was fully payed up
so I left it

I went to an IFA a few weeks ago and they insisted on re-checking

turns out that, although I have over 40 years of NI contributions I will not currently be entitled to a full state pension - as my scheme was 'contracted out' I need to pay several thousand to get the contribution back up.
I also need to keep paying for the next 5 years in spite of being retired

Posting this to advise people to check it all out carefully - especially if you have been in a big pension scheme including the NHS, Teacher Pension, local government etc etc.
Probably only applies to the old final salary type - but worth checking when you start thinking about retiring - which should be a good 10 years before you do!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Very generous, public sector or ex-public sector?

Teacher's pension like mine - I'm putting in 11.3% and the employer 24%. The more you earn, the bigger percentage contribution from both sides. We can do a faster accrual, but it only applies to career average pensions. Depending upon age that may not apply as it all changed in 2016, then 2021.

The AVC contribution only has member payments going in, together with a hefty management charge, so after a few years I decided it wasn't worth doing any more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom