Incredible!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Camgreen

Just been out for a stroll in the warm sunshine and witnessed a piece of cycling of jaw dropping proportions. Lad on a racer pedalling for all his worth, draughting a cement mixer along Hills Road in Cambridge. Considering it was mid-afternoon on a Friday, the traffic was moving moderately well and the cement mixer must've been doing 20-25 mph at a rough guess; the front wheel of the bike couldn't of been more than a foot behind it's bumper. The cyclist even managed a cursory glance to his left at one point. The stretch of road in question has two pedestrian crossings in quick succession, numerous side streets and is on the bus route ..... so plenty of scope for the traffic around him to have stopped suddenly.

On Wednesday I got a bit miffed about a transit van pulling out in front of me, then I saw it had a large square trailer and decided to draft it, not as close as the rider in the OP and I knew there was no junctions what fun, in the end I was quite glad it'd pulled out.

Drafting lorries and vans is a lot of fun. I remember getting on the tail of a dump truck and the driver thought he'd try and shake my off by speeding through twisting country lanes. I managed to stay with him for about 5 miles. :laugh:

AlanW

Guru
Drafting is totally irresponsible action and should not be endorsed by anyone, and it gives us all a bad name. :angry:

But its bloody great fun though isn't it.....:blush:.......:biggrin:

I remember drafting a tractor and trailer for miles once. The stupid bit was that I knew that it was taking me miles out of my way, but hey......life can be cruel sometimes. :laugh:

Matty

4F said:
Never draft a tractor with a trailer of potatoes :laugh:

Or a tractor with muck spreader. Had to do an emergency stop to avoid after he pulled out, then he held me up and covered me in shite.

AlanW said:
I remember drafting a tractor and trailer for miles once. The stupid bit was that I knew that it was taking me miles out of my way, but hey......life can be cruel sometimes. ;)
I was drafting a large HGV (a tipper IIRC) a few weeks ago on Queen St, Edinburgh, I was sitting back a few metres though, when must overtake cyclist squeezed in. I think she got the message when I re overtook to get back in the draft. It went passed the turn off that I wanted but I was having too much fun ;) Unfortunately the next junction was full of roadworks, so I had to say goodbye to both of them.

4F said:
Never draft a tractor with a trailer of potatoes ;)

I often get tractors, it's the bits of mud flying off that is a hassle.

I drafted a crop sprayer recently and bits of corn etc was hitting me.

It only had a 3ft clearance, so couldn't see ahead, though the amount of air coming underneath made it not ideal. If it was higher I could see in front and stay closer... but it would hardly be drafting any more if there is clearance for me to go under... ;)

Drafting double decker buses is fun and keeps you warm in winter. Yes it's reckless and your own fault if you have an accident but worth it for the feeling of maintaining 25-30mph effortlessly.

Top Bottom