Indentify these engineering(?) tools...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

irw

Quadricyclist
Hey folks,
I've been helping my mum sort through some bits at my recently departed Grandad's house, and we've come across these bits in the garage...I'm normally pretty good at working out what something is/was for, but I'm a bit stumped with these, and I know there are some clever bods on here who might know! The first two things seem to be some sort of press, and the third almost seems like some sort of drive, but I could be completely off the mark...

Item 1:
IMG_0699.JPG
IMG_0698.JPG

Underneath:
IMG_0697.JPG

Item 2:
IMG_0701.JPG
IMG_0703.JPG

Item 3:
IMG_0705.JPG
IMG_0707.JPG

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
No3 is a steam engine. Looks like a Stuart in style but I'm not sure it is.
Steam engines sell well on Ebay.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
A guess at No 1.... I recall using something like that to pull the read hub, off a splined shaft on a Ford 100E Anglia (long time ago, 1964, or thereabouts) ......

OP
OP
irw

irw

Quadricyclist
A guess at No 1.... I recall using something like that to pull the read hub, off a splined shaft on a Ford 100E Anglia (long time ago, 1964, or thereabouts) ......

Hmm. Interesting. I know my Grandad used to do a lot of work on his cars himself, so they could well be something car related.

newts

Veteran
No3 is a steam engine. Looks like a Stuart in style but I'm not sure it is.
Steam engines sell well on Ebay.
This looks to be scratch built, the main support frame is welded from small metal pieces. Stuart & other kits tend to have cast iron parts for these frames.

OP
OP
irw

irw

Quadricyclist
This looks to be scratch built, the main support frame is welded from small metal pieces. Stuart & other kits tend to have cast iron parts for these frames.

It could well be, and it might well be something that's actually come from my Great Uncle's house, who was a design engineer who built working model steam trains in his spare time. Would I be right in thinking that you'd need another 'something' to generate the steam, and pipe it into the threaded brass fitting?

newts

Veteran
It could well be, and it might well be something that's actually come from my Great Uncle's house, who was a design engineer who built working model steam trains in his spare time. Would I be right in thinking that you'd need another 'something' to generate the steam, and pipe it into the threaded brass fitting?
You would need a heater, boiler & connecting pipe.
How tall is this engine?

Top Bottom