Indicating intention to turn right at a second junction.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AmNat

Sometimes when cycling on a two lane road in London, I have to stop for lights at a junction. I do not wish to turn right at that junction, but at another junction which is about 40m further on. I need to be in the right hand lane in order to do this - there would be too much traffic to get past if I was on the left. I can't indicate at the lights that I am turning right, as this would suggest I am turning right at that junction. So I indicate once I have passed this first junction. However cars behind me get very frustrated at me using the right hand lane. It's a 20mph zone so they shouldn't. But they do. How can I better indicate my intention to them? Is there anything about this in the Highway Code?

Baldy

Über Member
I think you're doing it just right, ignore them.

I would "take the lane" at the traffic lights then signal and love to teh right once you are past the first junction
You can;t move to the right of the lane before this as there is danger and someone turning right turning into you assuming that you are going right as well

If others don;t like it then that is their problem.
Just go at a reasonable rate (for you) and don;t delay them more than necessary - but stay safe yourself as the first, second and third priority!

Sometimes when cycling on a two lane road in London, I have to stop for lights at a junction. I do not wish to turn right at that junction, but at another junction which is about 40m further on. I need to be in the right hand lane in order to do this - there would be too much traffic to get past if I was on the left. I can't indicate at the lights that I am turning right, as this would suggest I am turning right at that junction. So I indicate once I have passed this first junction. However cars behind me get very frustrated at me using the right hand lane. It's a 20mph zone so they shouldn't. But they do. How can I better indicate my intention to them? Is there anything about this in the Highway Code?

You can sometimes be primary in the left lane (as above 'take the lane) and move across in the junction after they are turning right using the right turning traffic to shield your manoeuvre but if you need to be in the right turn lane early to go ahead, don't worry it their problem as long as your safe.

OP
OP
A

AmNat

You can sometimes be primary in the left lane (as above 'take the lane) and move across in the junction after they are turning right using the right turning traffic to shield your manoeuvre but if you need to be in the right turn lane early to go ahead, don't worry it their problem as long as your safe.

Actually I just checked, and there's an ahead only sign, so turning right at the first junction is not an option. But if I were to indicate that I was turning right while waiting there then drivers would probably assume that I planned to turn right at this first junction, in spite of it not being allowed. I think that the best place to stop is at the very right of the cycle box, and then move a little further right as I cycle off.

I suppose one possibility is to look back at the driver in the right hand lane as I wait at the lights, make eye contact, and do two hand signals for him - one straight on and then one indicating right. I think I'll try it.

Camden Road junction.jpg

Take the lane.
Advance as far as you safely can
Go as soon as safe when the lights change, looking for any cars. Don't wait for the "n of green".
Polite, legalistic cycling is why nice young ladies have such a high serious crash rate in London.

Top Bottom