Indoor cycling is giving me a dull pain in my leg and I don't know why can you help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Marcf

Hello I am riding a bike indoors everyday 10 miles a day and I'm starting to get a dull pain in my leg that is waking me up. Any ideas

vickster

Legendary Member
Where in your leg?
Likely down to saddle height or simply being stuck in one position. Do you stop, get out of the saddle, move your position at all? How long does your “10 miles” take you?

Forget the trainer until winter and get on the roads ;)

Stop riding until you’ve figured out the issue?
What bike?
Are you new to riding?
Do you stretch?
Do you do any other sport, exercise?

Jimidh

Veteran
Do you ride outside with no effect or do you only ride indoors?

Where is the pain? Is it muscular or in your joints?

Are you sweating a lot and not replenishing your fluids?

OP
OP
M

Marcf

Do you ride outside with no effect or do you only ride indoors?

Where is the pain? Is it muscular or in your joints?

Are you sweating a lot and not replenishing your fluids?
Hi thanks for answering I mostly ride inside. haven't had this pain before I think it's in my knee joint or muscle I'm not sure. I don't really sweat at all

OP
OP
M

Marcf

Where in your leg?
Likely down to saddle height or simply being stuck in one position. Do you stop, get out of the saddle, move your position at all? How long does your “10 miles” take you?

Forget the trainer until winter and get on the roads ;)

Stop riding until you’ve figured out the issue?
What bike?
Are you new to riding?
Do you stretch?
Do you do any other sport, exercise?
Hey Vickster thanks for responding
It usually takes an hour I stop many times.
I've been doing it every day since November I have a Schwinn exercise cycle, I do some stretching I didn't do any other sport. I also do a sorted exercises with three pound dumbbells in each hand while cycling

vickster

Legendary Member
Sounds like you need to check your saddle height, might well be too low

If minor adjustments until you have no more discomfort doesn’t solve it, go see a physiotherapist :smile:

OP
OP
M

Marcf

When I'm pedaling my leg is extended not too far and not too little is that the right way to have it set

vickster

Legendary Member
When I'm pedaling my leg is extended not too far and not too little is that the right way to have it set
With the pedal at the bottom of the stroke and your heel on the pedal, your knee should be slightly bent.

Unfortunately exercise bikes are rarely able to be set up optimally because they are designed as one size fits (not very well)

If the pain is waking you, perhaps stop using the machine for a week or two and let your knee recover. Is the pain around the kneecap at the front of the knee? Or elsewhere like the thigh or calf muscle?

OP
OP
M

Marcf

Good morning the pain feels like it's in the inner thigh all the way down to the knee and it's a dull pain. It definitely doesn't go below the knee it's concentrated from the knee up on the inside. Thank you very much for your responses I just started doing this six months ago and have no Direction

dodgy

Don't lift weights while riding. Seriously, it's a terrible idea.

I bet your saddle is too low, like others have said; place your heal on the pedal at the bottom of the pedal's stroke and there should be a very slight bend at your knee.

Top Bottom