Indoor training beginner - tyre questions!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Redman82

Hi,

I have just begun my journey into indoor training, having bought a Saris Fluid trainer for my mountain bike and a Swift subscription. I have read that it would be best to buy a training tyre rather than using my current mountain bike tyre and have found a Continental Hometrainer Tyre 27.5" (see screenshot attached) to match the size of my current wheel. However being a real beginner, my questions are as follows:-
  • Will the training tyre fit onto my current metal wheel rim or do I need to buy a new one of these also?
  • Do I need to buy an inner tube for the training tyre or will my current inner tube work with it?
Sorry if these questions sound a bit simple, but as I say I am a real beginner.

Any help much appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-11 at 21.44.15.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-11 at 21.44.15.png
    88.5 KB · Views: 25

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

It should fit your wheel and you can use your current inner tube. Keep it simple!

The question is whether it is worth the faff of changing tyres. If you plan on doing a lot of home training and not riding the bike outside then it arguably is. Indoor training gets the tyre hot so it degrades quicker and if your outdoor tyre has knobbly tread it will be very noisy. Personally, I don’t bother changing the tyre on my road bike - it’s quiet enough and I live with having to replace the tyre a few months earlier than I would otherwise. I know I would be less likely to cycle indoors or out if I had to change the tyre first!

Maybe try it with your normal tyre first and see how it feels?

OP
OP
R

Redman82

Thank you for the reply, yes due to a current injury I’m more likely to be completing indoor rides.

My only worry is that having looked at my current tyre it seems to have the following measurements on 27.5” x 2.1” - will a 27.5” x 1.8” wheel fit on the rim without falling off?

COYS

I'd definitely go with the turbo tyre for now as the existing MTB tyre will be noisey and vibrate a lot. Once your injury is OK and you want to ride outside then I'd advise getting a cheap / 2nd hand back wheel to use exclusively with our turbo and move the trainer tyre onto it.

Don't be tempted to use the trainer tyre outdoors though, you'll ruin it.

davidphilips

Veteran
Agree with COYS, For the Bike i use on turbo i just use an old rear wheel with a worn rim and any tyre thats a bit worn or has a cut on it (i never take a chance with tyres on bikes) i keep them for the turbo, Have a towel close by as you may need it and if you can set up an electric fan to have some cool air plus dont forget a water bottle.

Kevfm

Regular
Why would you spend £35 on a specific turbo tyre rather than a cheap road tyre? I put a MTB on my turbo and just put the cheapest road tyre I could find on it. A genuine question btw, not trying to be clever:smile:

davidphilips

Veteran
Only advantage i can find about turbo tyres is that they may be a bit quieter? but for me any way an old wheel and tyre is the best option as i can change the wheel in seconds if i want the bike for road use plus i dont have to worry about putting strain on rear wheel bearings?

COYS

Bit quieter and made to deal with the heat better. But if you can find a slick MTB tyre to try then no harm in using that too

Deeble

Regular
I have a wheel on trainer and when I started off training indoors I used my road bike with usual tyre. It was quick to set the bike up or take it off and get out riding. Over a winter I wore down my rear tyre, then just popped the front one on the back and kept going, probably not recommended! Then when they both wore down it was nearly spring so I bought a new pair of decent tyres and an indoor tyre too. What swayed me was picking up and older road bike to use solely on the trainer, I really couldn't be doing with the faff. I'd given this bike away years ago and it was an ornament so I got it back, gave it a quick service and got it set up as my permanent indoor steed. I don't know how long the tyres are supposed to last but mine doesn't look like it has even been used yet and I've had it on all winter, I do rate them.

I recently got a couple of friends into Zwift and they read the indoor training guides. All of which suggest getting an indoor specific tyre so they asked my opinion. So I said, yes they are worth it. But I also said it took me years (and getting a spare bike) to make the switch because I knew I wouldn't cope with the hassle... so up to you. They both got one anyway and like the tyre. However, since then my outside rides have been solo as they can't be bothered to switch out the tyre and ride outside... so... swings and roundabouts!

Top Bottom