Indoor training is brutal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan77

Finally got my bike and got all set up on Zwift. Had to re-index the gears but thankfully that’s really easy to do while moving with Di2. Hope I don’t have to do it every time I swap the wheel on and off though.

I’d read that it’s harder than outdoors and to get a big fan but I wasn’t prepared for just how hard it is. I’ve been really pleased with my progress from zero to being able to ride as far as 82km. It appears, however, that Strava has been lying to me (to be fair I wasn’t giving it much data to work with). I’m going to discount the first indoor ride for various reasons but 2nd ride put me at I think 142 watts average whereas Strava generally had me over 200.

So I’m only at 1.6-1.7w/kg and that was for a 20 minute ride – I wouldn’t have been able to keep that intensity for an hour I don’t think. At least now I have data and I can measure my improvements better than just distance, time and average speed. Will give it another try this evening and turn the fan up to max.
IMG_20201021_214531.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You may have to re-index each time as not all wheels hubs are the same with a mm out.

Do you have an out building - I'd die if I trained in the house at 18c even with a fan. I train in my garage and it's zero in winter. It's not harder than outdoors, just different. It's a useful tool, and I do use Zwift, but with lockdown, I can get out when I want now, and just shuffle my 'lunch breaks' to suit, and get out on the bike.

Strava will only estimate power if you've not got a power meter. The Smart turbo will be more accurate

OP
OP
Dan77

Dan77

No. The bike is basically in the only place I can have it.

I've matched the exact same cassette as the wheel on the trainer but I'll have to see if it works when I put the wheel on and head outdoors.

It definitely felt a lot harder. That may be largely to do with the temperature and probably also because I was rather disappointed with my power output. I therefore pushed harder than I would do outdoors. Also a new bike to get used to. I guess I will settle into it.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Zwift's harder than outdoor training imo as you don't have the wind and rolling terrain. It's a constant. You've got a baseline and can work from there.

Our home Zwift set-up is in the living/dining room and we've usually got windows open with a fan.

If you think a Zwift ride is hard try Zwift racing :blink::surrender::heat::blink::surrender:xx(

OP
OP
Dan77

Dan77

If you think a Zwift ride is hard try Zwift racing :blink::surrender::heat::blink::surrender:xx(

Yeah, I've ruled that out for now! At the w/kg I'm kicking out I'm a long way from being able to stick with a group on a race I think, nevermind be competitive. I did hit 566 watts for like a second :laugh:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Set the filter in your companion app to Fondos/TT/Group ride and "E" only.

Would surprise you how many non race events there are, still a brutal session but not 6w/kg for an hour

DCLane

+1 to the above. Worth looking at and Zwift Power gives you an idea of what you're able to do (zwiftpower.com) - it also allows you to monitor progress and have a record.

For reference I'm a 'C' and my son's an 'A'. We've a 65 year-old in my club who's a competitive 'D' - the bottom grade.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Make sure your trainer is properly calibrated - it shouldn't be *that* hard although I do think Zwift is harder than real life, despite speeds on Zwift being greater.

And yeah, get a BIG fan ^_^

We have a Zwift subgroup on here, we currently have 2 teams in the Zwift Racing League and often have group zwift rides etc. When you feel a bit more comfortable on Zwift and have got your set up all sorted pay us a visit :okay:

t_rifles

I agree too, pedalling is generally non stop so the reduction in effort due to no wind resistance is probably offset by more commitment. I can choose steady calorie burn or hard workout and tend to alternate. Its become a routine now and I have a 2nd screen for music videos or even a film if I am on it for 90 mins or so. I found my cadence improved greatly but saddle was taking its toll being in it so long. Firstly changed to Adamo saddle but now fully recumbent.

fossyant

I agree too, pedalling is generally non stop so the reduction in effort due to no wind resistance is probably offset by more commitment. I can choose steady calorie burn or hard workout and tend to alternate. Its become a routine now and I have a 2nd screen for music videos or even a film if I am on it for 90 mins or so. I found my cadence improved greatly but saddle was taking its toll being in it so long. Firstly changed to Adamo saddle but now fully recumbent.

I've got a second screen and my tablet or phone running the companion app. I'm lucky that it's all set up in the garage with a spare bike, fan etc. All linked to a dedicated mini PC and a 'soundbar', so it's a case of jump on and go. Not sure I'd bother if I had to set it all up. I still prefer the real world, ans since lockdown haven't touched Zwift that much -there is the mental effect of getting out when you are working from home - the garage doesn't do that.

fossyant

I've found that - for me at least - the two aren't all that comparable.

My turbo sessions don't often go much over an hour (some exceptions) and my road rides are generally not less than four hours. The nearest road equivalent to a turbo session for me is going out of an evening and doing hill repeats for an hour or so, which I do sometimes but to be honest I'd rather be on the turbo than repeatedly going up and down a suburban hill in the cold and drizzle.

I'm quite lucky in that I have MTB trails locally that give you a good work out in an hour. I don't regularly ride for more than an hour and a half anyway - more time crunched, so can make that 90 minutes outside pay. PS I'm not racing, so Zwift is there if the weather is bad, or I'm really crunched for time.

OP
OP
Dan77

Dan77

Make sure your trainer is properly calibrated

I literally just turned it on and found it in Zwift so you may be on to something there. Best I check. I think I'll need to download the Elite app but will have a go before I venture back onto Zwift this evening.

DCLane

We have a Zwift subgroup on here, we currently have 2 teams in the Zwift Racing League and often have group zwift rides etc. When you feel a bit more comfortable on Zwift and have got your set up all sorted pay us a visit :okay:

I found that this week. Not currently Zwifting as my son's winter bike's on there atm and it doesn't fit me. We'll swap in a couple of weeks to something that fits better and I'll be back on.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
I literally just turned it on and found it in Zwift so you may be on to something there. Best I check. I think I'll need to download the Elite app but will have a go before I venture back onto Zwift this evening.
Calibrate the trainer and then check your Zwift settings. Make sure the weight is set correctly. IIRC the default setting is 50% for trainer difficulty in Zwift. I always rode @100% (watch the GPLama video about trainer difficulty in Zwift). Get into doing the Workout plans it gives you something to aim at. It will help very quickly.

Get a fan, a big fug orf Fan. 12" minimum 18" if you can. The biggest you can fit into your room the slower it has to go so it is slightly quieter IME

OP
OP
Dan77

Dan77

My fan is 18" and I had on setting 2 of 3 yesterday. Really going to have to turn it up to max. this evening and open a window.

I have read that calibration needs to be done after it's been in use for at least 10 minutes. Not sure if I should be calibrating with Elite app or in Zwift. Probably Zwift as I'm not interested in using the Elite app.

Top Bottom