Inexpensive folder wanted.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smudge

Veteran
Never had a folder in my life before, but i've been thinking about getting one to add to my bike stable for a while now. Mainly to bung in the back of the car sometimes and it'll only get limited use. Obviously i dont want to spend a lot for this limited use.
Probably up to £300 max and must be 20" wheels. Preferably not single speed.
Seen and rode the Raleigh Stowaway 7, which wasn't bad and i can get it for under £300.
Seen and rode the Tern A7, but thought it was well overpriced for its spec at £450.
Seen the Carrera Intercity in Halfords, but haven't had a chance to ride this one yet...... really liked this one for its 8 speed and its lighter than the previous mentioned folders at 12kg. Looked good too and had mudguards, rack and sidestand. Its currently £350, but that's likely to be reduced at Halfords at the next 'regular as clockwork' sales.

Another consideration is my 15.5 stone weight..... and which folders would cope ok with this.

I've also found this real cheap steel frame folder for £109......

https://bicycles4u.com/products/oslo-explorer

Obviously i like the price, seeing as it will only get used rarely. I also like that it claims up to 18 stone weight limit, will it be stronger for my weight being a steel frame ?
Or is it likely to be just Chinese monkey metal and i'l regret buying it the first time i ride it.
Any thoughts, or suggestions ?

Thanks.

the stupid one

Über Member
Is this the first time I've ever managed to recommend looking at Decathlon bikes before anybody else does?

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/tilt-500-folding-bike-yellow-id_8500545.html

Different colours are available. ^_^

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Veteran

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
TBH, if you only want to spend a small amount on a bike, you are much better off buying a decent quality old-school bike secondhand and budgeting for replacement of perishables like the tyres, tubes, and brake blocks.
I've now got a nice little fleet of British-built steel bikes that mainly date from the mid 1980's to the mid 90's, and the average purchase price was less than £25 each. I always allow £30-40 on top for tyres etc, but even so, I reckon I am still only paying 10-20% of their original cost in today's money. You get a lot more bike for your buck secondhand, and you can get high quality machines for the price of a BSO if you hunt down the bargains.

the stupid one

Über Member
I have looked at the B'TWIN folders, but only online as i dont have a Decathlon near me. But i think the Carrera Intercity will be reduced to around that price soon, and its lighter, better specced and has extras.

There's a very slim possibility I may want a folding bike soon, but I hadn't taken a serious look at the options. The Carrera - especially the red version - does look better than the B'Twin both in spec and, well, looks. I'm glad you posted!

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Veteran
TBH, if you only want to spend a small amount on a bike, you are much better off buying a decent quality old-school bike secondhand and budgeting for replacement of perishables like the tyres, tubes, and brake blocks.
I've now got a nice little fleet of British-built steel bikes that mainly date from the mid 1980's to the mid 90's, and the average purchase price was less than £25 each. I always allow £30-40 on top for tyres etc, but even so, I reckon I am still only paying 10-20% of their original cost in today's money. You get a lot more bike for your buck secondhand, and you can get high quality machines for the price of a BSO if you hunt down the bargains.

Yes, i agree..... but all the used folders (of a type i want) within 50 miles of me are overpriced compared to what i can buy new.
Its different for road bikes, 26" mountain bikes or hybrids.... i could fill my boots with those.

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Veteran
There's a very slim possibility I may want a folding bike soon, but I hadn't taken a serious look at the options. The Carrera - especially the red version - does look better than the B'Twin both in spec and, well, looks. I'm glad you posted!

I'd bet it'l be somewhere between £250 and £280 in the next few months...... Its been £280 earlier this year according to HotUkDeals.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
So many on the used market bit silly buying new, many hardly used.
How about this Dahon Expresso, not too far from you;
https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/dahon-folding-aluminium-bike-ideal-for-commuting/1313097259
24" wheels I think so more like a full size.

Or this;
https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/folding-bicycle-bike-snicket-adventure/1311206153

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Yes, i agree..... but all the used folders (of a type i want) within 50 miles of me are overpriced compared to what i can buy new. Its different for road bikes, 26" mountain bikes or hybrids.... i could fill my boots with those.

You might get lucky and find a sensibly-priced Raleigh family or Dawes folder at a car boot sale straight from someone's shed/garage clear-out, but you are correct in that they are not the best value variety secondhand when sold online. That accolade goes to the 26" rigid framed MTB, in my experience. If buying a new cheap bike you have to look at future maintainability; i.e. what bits it comprises of and whether they are generic universal fit parts or manufacturer-specific, therefore at risk of becoming unobtainable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Veteran
So many on the used market bit silly buying new, many hardly used.
How about this Dahon Expresso, not too far from you;
https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/dahon-folding-aluminium-bike-ideal-for-commuting/1313097259
24" wheels I think so more like a full size.

Or this;
https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/folding-bicycle-bike-snicket-adventure/1311206153

The 24" is no good for me, i'm set on 20"
The Snicket isn't bad, but more than i want to pay for secondhand. Thanks for the suggestions tho.

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Veteran
Well i can definitely forget about that Oslo Explorer i linked to from bicycles4u. I've just seen a guy riding the same one, so i had a chat to him and had a closer look at the bike.
Perhaps not surprisingly, it was a piece of garbage.
Still gonna keep an eye on Ebay and for any sales online...... but i reckon Halfords will be getting my money for the Carrera Intercity as soon as they discount it.

Top Bottom