Inexpensive saddlebag options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fimm

Veteran
Does anyone have any reccommendations for a cheap-ish saddlebag for carrying a night or two's worth of kit for some "credit card touring"? Boyfriend and I did a nice overnight trip at the weekend, but I had my gear (just a change of clothes and basic wash kit) in a rucksack and that just wasn't comfortable. We have light road bikes so fitting racks for panniers is not an option (and though n+1 = a touring bike would be nice be we have neither funds nor storage space). However I understand that it is possible to get a decent amount of kit into a large bag behind the saddle. I know of Carradice saddlebags, but they are expensive! Any other suggestions?

I use a beam rack on my road bike.

Something along this line might help...
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ortlieb-classic-large-saddle-bag/

May be cheaper else where.

vorsprung

Veteran
Get some of those metal hooked "spider" elastic straps used for car luggage from poundland or a market stall
Got them? Great.
And a bin liner
Fold clothes etc in bin liner and strap to rails at back of saddle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I've found Carradice saddlebags to be ok - had the lowsaddle longflap for a smaller bike frame.

The QR bagman isn't built that well but it's essential for the smaller frame of the road bike that I have.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Have you had a bad experience? I have one waiting for the bag (its on back order) to be delivered so wondered if there were any problems you wanted to highlight?

Be careful with the releasing toggles that are spring loaded- if it pings upon itself the mechanism can chuck out the spring rendering that toggle useless.

The actually metal part of the bag support after a short time attached to the bike can wobble and this isn't anything to do with fit of parts etc- it just works loose with no way to ammend this. Doesn't affect carrying ability but is annoying.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
yeah - it rotates under braking! To be fair Carradice do some nice bags that fit to the saddle

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
this guy has the info your after..

ultralight touring

Sleeper

...now THAT'S a 'weight freak'! I have to question the safety of long distancing in crocs?!?! I love my toes waaaay too much for that! ...umm, and perhaps my ego ;)
Apologies to go off topic there!

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
...now THAT'S a 'weight freak'! I have to question the safety of long distancing in crocs?!?! I love my toes waaaay too much for that! ...umm, and perhaps my ego ;)
Apologies to go off topic there!

i recently watched a program on tv where a bloke walked the full length of the amazon in crocs.

Be careful with the releasing toggles that are spring loaded- if it pings upon itself the mechanism can chuck out the spring rendering that toggle useless.

The actually metal part of the bag support after a short time attached to the bike can wobble and this isn't anything to do with fit of parts etc- it just works loose with no way to ammend this. Doesn't affect carrying ability but is annoying.

Ahh right no worries, I'll keep an eye out on that. :thumbsup:

I have to admit the setup has dissapointed me a little, I wanted to carry 2 different sizes of bags but the way the system works it will only accept one - unless I get another of the separate pieces to attach to the second bag.

Still not tried it yet so I wont moan too much, cheap carradice bags are generally hard to find it seems but hopefully worth the wait!

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
this guy has the info your after..

ultralight touring

I was checking my link for this before reading all the way down !
thumbsup.png

Of course he is a hardcore (ultra-)lightweight tourer but some of his ideas really make us think a bit differently about how we pack for touring and are extremely practical - eg his suggestion for using a backpack with the waist straps removed instead of a rack and panniers. Ideal for credit-card touring, I'd have thought.

For credit-card touring, he has a lot to offer.

OP
OP
fimm

fimm

Veteran
Thank you for all the suggestions. That Carradice bag looks very interesting, Dellzeqq, and I hadn't thought of Decathlon so had a look at their website too. We keep talking about going to Decathlon so that is another thing to look at if/when we ever get there.
Stuff bungee'd on to the back of the saddle definitely comes in as inexpensive... I have a drybag from hillwalking which I could put everything in and then a plastic bag would protect it from dirt... hmmm.

Top Bottom