Inflation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
Bloomberg reporting just announced inflation figure of 8.5%

Big pressure on Fed Reserve to raise interest rates again - possibly by 0.5%

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...quickens-to-8-5-ratcheting-up-pressure-on-fed

Is that inflation for the USA?

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Mortgages will rise and this is on top of increased food, fuel and energy costs. Many won’t be able to cope.

It will be difficult but how else can inflation be controlled?

Rates have been kept artificially low since 2008 propped up by QE from the Gov'.

One of the reasons behind the crazy increase in house prices.

I'd hate to be having to solve these huge problems.

Last edited:

fullfathom5

I think that sadly a lot of people are going to be in trouble as they have got big mortgages, PCP deals, etc. and very little if anything in the way of savings. Grim times. :sad:

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Mortgages will rise and this is on top of increased food, fuel and energy costs. Many won’t be able to cope.

That is a real concern for some.

Unfortunately, unless something is done re inflation then house will just rise faster and faster - it's bad enough as it is tbh.

Artificially low mortgage rates just fool people that they can afford large mortgages which increases demand for houses and hence house price inflation arises.

D

Deleted member 26715

How much of the inflation is real & how much is being artificially created from businesses trying to claw back what they lost over the last couple of years, fuel prices for instance, I clearly don't understand the whole process, but the fuel we are buying today was bought last year, the price per barrel of crude was low, so logically the price at the pump should be low, but it's not. They don't even appear to be passing on the 5p reduction in tax, it appears they are pocketing the funds now.

Another example is we (wife & I) like to go on on a Sunday & have a full English at a local pub, then go do a bit of shopping as soon as the shops open at 10 before all the crowds. The cost per person was £5.99 with tea & coffee included £11.98, the new pricing structure is £6.99 without tea or coffee that another £1.99 each, it's now gone from £11.98 to £17.96, 50% increase, I know it's a trivial example, but things haven't gone up that much (yet) but it's backfired on them, we used to go twice a month, at that price it's now once a month.

gbb

Legendary Member
I was only just talking about what seemed like the good old 80s, when money seemed to ooze out of everywhere, they seemed good times but of course, when it all corrected, it came as a hammer blow. We could be headed there again.
Its all so interwoven, everyone wants more money to cope with the pressures but that just adds to the pressure longer term. I believe there is a big element of 'profiteering' under the shadow of inflation and yet as some businesses increase wages to retain or attract the right people, that cost has to be passed on. My grandaughter (16) is earning nearly £13 hr part time (it is a responsible job tbf), she's happy, who wouldnt be but that cost has to go somewhere.
Given China has hopefully stopped much of the ghost city building, i'd have hoped raw materials would slip in demand and therefor price. the building trade in this country appears to be chock a block with work, again, driving up demand, i'm sure its similar in many countries.

Seems to me, the only recourse for many people is to pull their horns in and sit it out, that will reduce demand and eventually, prices may fall.
It all needs a big correction, so much demand, it has to fall before much happens.

Top Bottom