informal rides query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hi all

Been checking out this section of the forums quite a bit lately....Just haven't quite gotten myself on a ride yet! ;)

Basically just trying to sound out which ones are best really:

Mileage probably isn't a problem overall especially with company but I would like to get more long rides in as I would like to round out my riding and improve on some skills overall. Have planned to do a longish ride 35miles + with friends once most weekends - last one was down to Richmond Park and around for a few laps and back home-about 50 miles.

I like the sound of Dellzeqqs FNRttC - but really suffer without enough sleep and the bank holiday ride suggested by TopCat1 sounded fun...

I cope well on the flats but my biggest weakness is any small incline or hill which I can usually struggle up but find it exhausting but love the descents. This struggling up hills seems to have gotten worse with training. Average out at 15mph on the flat but would like to improve upon speed.

I'm based in London, was quite fit and healthy (as was training for a race which I was too ill to do in the end) prior to getting swine fluxx( and a chest infection aboutxx( a month ago but since then haven't quite been the same! Trying to work back up to previous state of health.

So basically wondering which rides would be good to go on without rinsing myself out to dry and holding everyone back. :biggrin:

Well, the first three letters of your username gives the game away a little!
Mail dellzeqq on fnrttc@yahoo.co.uk to receive information to solidify your liquidity ttC. ;)

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
haha apertif - more like substandard TT - was training for the bike leg of the triathlon but had to watch bitterly from the sidelines- make a better track sprinter I think then endurance type races - that is if i can get up to scratch (and better than before-hahah)

Are you suggesting I jump into the deep end? No softly softly approaches here?
The last time I went on a casual jaunt into the Kent Lanes with a club the gradual inclines nearly left me for dead for the first half and I am reluctantly forcing myself back to the club in the autumn...very reluctantly, so was wondering if there were any easier rides to build up strength.

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Done and dusted...I can blame you Apertif for any wayward problems- it will be you wobbling away on the front tyre with the drink cycling...no wonder there is all this mention of the routes going wrong -- I wonder....Maybe see some of you on one of the rides.

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
CoG - sounds like you are a familiar - convert/convict to this process.

I don't think I am as much of a glutton for punishment as you regulars!

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Sounds tempting but I can only do that if I am back in central London for 9:00ish - but may need my wits about me for a saturday morning test I got lined up and with the night time riding...I know I know, just wimping out here

redjedi

Über Member
I think the Whitstable ride will be full up by now, but sign up for the next one early.

There's also the ride up in Herts this weekend.

New faces are always welcome and the pace is never too fast.

No-one gets left behind, so take your time and others will always wait.

There's a Richmond Park thread on here as well, so if you want to meet a few faces outside of the formal-informal rides throw a post in there, you're bound to get a few takers.

These aren't training rides, just a way to get out on your bike with other friendly riders for a nice day.

I expect to see you on one soon :evil:

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I think I am all trained out RedJedi so a nice sociable ride would be good for a change to get back on track.

The Richmond Park jaunt sounds like a plan but working the East end of London means I may find it tricky to get to that end of town - might be able to make it on the overground-what times do you guys get there for?

DavyWalnuts...copious amounts of booze -'fraid not if I'm on two wheels and since this season of training I just haven't drunk as much as I used to - more of a straight spirits fan. Kebab...hmmmm depends...!! Though I have razor sharp insults and quick wit to match....:evil:

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
ttcycle said:
I think I am all trained out RedJedi so a nice sociable ride would be good for a change to get back on track.

The Richmond Park jaunt sounds like a plan but working the East end of London means I may find it tricky to get to that end of town - might be able to make it on the overground-what times do you guys get there for?

DavyWalnuts...copious amounts of booze -'fraid not if I'm on two wheels and since this season of training I just haven't drunk as much as I used to - more of a straight spirits fan. Kebab...hmmmm depends...!! Though I have razor sharp insults and quick wit to match....:evil:

Some of the mouseketeers will get you back into shape on that one then! hehe!

Richmond park seems to be quite a local favourite for alot of us near to it and start times vary! Am always late, some are early!

mike e

TT sounds like you may have a trek to meet up for one of these rides, it's worth the effort though. Don't be fooled by Davy and his boozing and kebabing, I had the impression of someone who may be a slouch on a bike and was very much suprised by his turn of speed (until a slight mishap.:evil:)

Everyone on these rides are super friendly, and it is very sociable. The night rides are a love / hate but beware you can easily become hooked.

See you on a ride soon.

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Thanks for the input guys!
I'll keep my eyes posted for Richmond and such like rides as the overground is a direct line and it's not overly far to get home -ish -18 miles round trip daily commute to work anyway so a few more miles would be fine- how late are we talking Davywalnuts?...though I'm sure you'll leave me for dead at the inclines and hills but it can only get better!

redjedi

Über Member
During the week I won't get to the park until 6.30pm, for a couple of laps. Weekends are usually a morning events to try and avoid the traffic.

These have only been in the summer so far, perhaps some winter rides will be called for this year.

But I get the feeling we're being hustled here guys

I think I am all trained out
since this season of training
Hardly any of us "train" for anything (except to get home after a few pints after a ride),

I think you'll be leaving us all behind quite easily. I think we'll need to get Team Astana Radius and Ilovebikes on this guy's first run, just in case he needs reeling in a bit :biggrin: :biggrin:

Top Bottom