Information sought on Look KG386

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eggman

After reading the previous thread about insurance:
Hello all. trying to establish more about a Look KG386 of which I am the proud owner. It is Hand Made and I believe originates from around 2004, having only covered 50 miles by me, prior to which it was unused.
My understanding is that the bike was fitted for an individual before manufacture and is full carbon fibre in a black/ red livery. There is very limited info on the web so i thought if anyone can provide more info on the 386 series it would be most appreciated. How many were actually hand made etc. What should I insure it for in case of theft? Would £1000 be too optomistic and would it be best covered outside of the house contents?Many thanks in anticipation

img_20140409_094533-jpg.135501.jpg

S-Express

Early carbon frames like this are popular with collectors, especially in the far east (ie Japan). However, although the frame is period, much of the rest of the kit does not appear to be, which will limit its value. The frame might sell for £400-600 to the right buyer.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the 'hand made' thing - pretty much every cycle frame in every other material can claim the same. If you have a spec list, it would be good to see it.

OP
OP
eggman

eggman

Thanks for that info. The bits are mostly Campagnola from that period as is everything else.. I swapped out the clipless pedals for cheapo ones, but still have them. I do not intend to split it or sell it on - will hang it on the wall in my computer room as i am happy off roading and am currently in the market for a replacement for my Carrera Fury 2012. I will go with WMB choice of off road hardtail - possibly Voodoo Bizango 29er on offer at Halfords. I will check house contents cover(as advised on previous thread). Happy days.

S-Express

Campagnolo's groupsets range from 'cheap' to 'expensive' so depending on what model of Campag it has, will affect value, for insurance or otherwise. I'd be surprised if those bars were original, too.

OP
OP
eggman

eggman

Good Morning John. From LOOK Co.

All bikes are built by hand, no matter where they are produced. The 386 was produced in China. But I don't have an exact number of the color repartition. They are however rare now due to the age of the frame.

Found this out. :smile: Hope it helps other LOOK owners.

Will make a list of the bike bits ASAP.

OP
OP
eggman

eggman

Ha, ha. Yes it is - hanging off the towel rail fitted to the AGA. I like it......

OP
OP
eggman

eggman

Campagnolo's groupsets range from 'cheap' to 'expensive' so depending on what model of Campag it has, will affect value, for insurance or otherwise. I'd be surprised if those bars were original, too.

Quick inventory:
Handlebar Sword ITM carbon fibre
Record 9 speed downshifters
Record brake calipers
Hi mod carbon stems
Ultradrive EPS 10 speed front cogs
Mirage 9 speed derailleur
Nucleon wheels

Will try to append piccies at some point.

S-Express

All sounds like period, high end stuff (apart from the Mirage mech, which is definitely low end). Even the bars. Sounds like a bit of a time capsule you have there.

OP
OP
eggman

eggman

Thanks. Nice to know anything about the bike. I love it even tho it is way past my ability on the road. :smile:

timtak

I love this bike/frame. I like the fact that it is stiff yet absorbs bumps and, rare in carbon framed bikes, it has a short head tube and horizontal top tube. I.e. it was made before bikes frames came to be made with an "enduro" "comfort" fit.

Mine has 11 speed 105 components due to a recent rebuild.

The only problem is that I can't find the frame number which apparently was only on the manual not on the frame itself. I have written to Look more than once to ask if there is anything I can do. I know part of the address of the first owner.

timtak

Correction. While I read somewhere on the internet that Look KG 385 bikes did not have a frame number on the frame and only one the manual that comes with the bike, as Look support pointed out, the frame number is on the inside of the rear left hand dropout so my bike is registered.

hotelmedicis

The Look KG386 was used in the 1999 and/or 2000 Tour de France. I bought one in France in 2008 and rode it for 12 years there. It's a monocoque carbon frame, very stiff yet absorbs the harshness of the road. I bought it from a professional Astana cyclist. Great frame from a French manufacturer. Sorry to hear it was made in China. I thought it was made in France.

Top Bottom