Inguinal Hernia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been diagnosed with a inguinal hernia(groin hernia)and my wife is saying that climbing up hills could be putting pressure on the hernia and it might be better to concentrate on flat ground.
To be honest i've always liked climbing hills and i would be gutted if i couldn't.
Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
What did the doctor who diagnosed advise, or is your wife medically trained?
With mine some years ago, the hospital doctor said to just carry on with life until he fixed it, IIRC the following month.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
My medically unqualified advice (from someone who has had a different kind of hernia) is to take things easy until it is all sorted out. You really don't want to go aggravating it. Listen to your doctors/other qualified medical people and when you're well again - that is the time to start making long term decisions.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I've been diagnosed with a inguinal hernia(groin hernia)and my wife is saying that climbing up hills could be putting pressure on the hernia and it might be better to concentrate on flat ground.
To be honest i've always liked climbing hills and i would be gutted if i couldn't.
Anyone got any thoughts on this?

I managed to get one of these after lifting a heavy machine into the back of my car. It was not caused by cycling. I would be very very surprised if this was caused by cycling. At the time, I was doing 1000ft climbs every day. I had to stop after the the operation, and I am now back on the bike and once again doing steep hills - no issue.

In the end, I had to have an operation to fix it. I was supposed to have keyhole surgerym but ended up having a mesh.

Any questions, drop me a line.

Last edited:

Red17

Veteran
I had one fixed with mesh a couple of years ago. My doctors opinion was that normally he would advise living with it at my age ( late 50s then) but if I was active to get it fixed.

The condition is a consequence of some physical activity. It is not due to an infection.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I had one of these as a yoof; apparently as a consequence of having a job that involved lifting a lot of heavy stuff.

It seems to be caused by straining the muscles on the lower abdomen; which aren't a group I'd necessarily associate with exerting one's self on a bike.

Mine wasn't painful but I was aware of it, so I'd suggest that if you can climb / ride without discomfort it's probably fine.. but then (just like your mrs!) I'm not a doctor ;)

OP
OP
The Central Scrutinizer
What did the doctor who diagnosed advise, or is your wife medically trained?
With mine some years ago, the hospital doctor said to just carry on with life until he fixed it, IIRC the following month.
Unfortunately i never asked my GP.
My wife worked on a NHS surgical ward for twenty years as a senior sister then became the ward manager so she does know a thing about this condition. Even so she is saying climbing hills "could" put pressure on not "would"
I'll try a few hills and see how i feel.
Got a letter today to see a consultant about surgery,that will be in five months time and then if they say surgery is necessary it will be on a long waiting list.I'm not going to complain about that as there are more urgent people needing treatment than me.

Last edited:
Had same condition a few years back. I had no pain just a lump .

Surgeon said I was free to anything I liked whilst waiting for surgery.

Had it repaired with open surgery and mesh. Very painful post op - 3 weeks off work - back in the gym in 6 weeks.

A few flare ups when I thought it had broken for about 1 year. Still twinges now and again but overall get it repaired would be my advice.

Unfortunately i never asked my GP.
My wife worked on a NHS surgical ward for twenty years as a senior sister then became the ward manager so she does know a thing about this condition. Even so she is saying climbing hills "could" put pressure on not "would"
I'll try a few hills and see how i feel.
Got a letter today to see a consultant about surgery,that will be in five months time and then if they say surgery is necessary it will be on a long waiting list.I'm not going to complain about that as there are more urgent people needing treatment than me.
Given the waiting list, can you not use the NHS right to treatment and access private on the NHS to speed things along?

Top Bottom