Injections for Nepal/Everest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My son is doing Everest base camp in August - Does anyone know what injections are required - and if these are available via NHS/GP or where they can be obtained privately ?

Tom...

Veteran

Willd

Veteran
NHS :rolleyes: Having just paid for vaccinations for our daughter to go to Vietnam & Cambodia, sadly not. Do shop around though, a friendly local Chemist's was a lot cheaper than Boots :okay:

si_c

Guru
Check with your GP, some of the injections we required before travelling to Kenya a couple of years ago were provided there (Hepatitis IIRC, can't recall the others). The others we had to get privately through Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine (it was closest). We had to get antimalarials privately also.

Tom...

Veteran
Not trying to be cheeky but do NHS actually provide these injections for travel holidays?

Which travel vaccines are free?​

The following travel vaccines are available free on the NHS if your GP practice is signed up to provide vaccination (immunisation) services.

These vaccines are free because they protect against diseases thought to represent the greatest risk to public health if they were brought into the country.

PK99

Legendary Member
It would seem like not !

Which travel vaccines are free?​

The following travel vaccines are available free on the NHS if your GP practice is signed up to provide vaccination (immunisation) services.

These vaccines are free because they protect against diseases thought to represent the greatest risk to public health if they were brought into the country.

Which travel vaccines will I have to pay for?​

You'll have to pay for travel vaccinations against:

vickster

Legendary Member
I got free MMR from GP a few years back when I went to Guatemala/Mexico as measles is endemic in Latin America and I'm too old to have received as a child (it amuses me on my online health record as it says 'pre-school' MMR when I was mid 40s)

vickster

Legendary Member
Check with your GP, some of the injections we required before travelling to Kenya a couple of years ago were provided there (Hepatitis IIRC, can't recall the others). The others we had to get privately through Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine (it was closest). We had to get antimalarials privately also.

Asda pharmacy is usually the cheapest for decent anti-malarials (ie Malarone, but if needed check which). I shall be heading there prior to my trip to Kenya. I also need to find out if my old yellow fever certificate is actually valid as the WHO have changed the rules since it was done over 18 years ago!

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't the organisers/ the company he's travelling with know which jabs are required/recommended (and then he needs to check which he has had and which may need boosters)

T4tomo

Legendary Member
slightly off topic but hopefully the guides are aware that base camp has moved / is moving. the glacier its sat on is melting cracking and becoming unstable in a lot of places.

Top Bottom