Lessons for life

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Comments welcomed

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?t=160493a

This article highlights the campaigning by IWGB - Cycling branch to secure improved terms and conditions for cycle instructors.

I would expect many on here may have heard of this campaign given members of this site are keen cyclists.

https://iwgb.org.uk/en/page/iwgb-cycling-instructors-branch/

Who we are
We’re the Cycling Instructors’ Branch of IWGB.

(For the uninitiated, cycling instructors teach bike control skills and safe road riding to adults and children. We also teach cyclist awareness courses to professional drivers, run all-ability cycling sessions and teach beginners to ride.)

Our branch started in London, where the cycle training industry has been established longest, and where we now represent a significant percentage of the instructor workforce. As the government’s Bikeability programme goes national, we’re recruiting more and more members across England.

Why we’re here
Cycling instructors work on casual contracts, are poorly paid and are vulnerable to management “initiatives” to push costs and risks onto workers. There’s been no pay rise for decades. Instructors were hammered by the Covid pandemic and the industry is struggling to retain experienced instructors, let alone recruit new ones. We’re passionate about the job, but many of us can’t afford to stay in it.

In November 2019 we decided that enough was enough, and formed a branch with IWGB. ..............

Attachments

• LCCArtical.jpg
    LCCArtical.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Article about cycle instructors' pay and conditions.
A better name than Joyriders Britain could have been chosen for the company.

Drago

Legendary Member
I used to get paid well for proper instructing, although I only charged expenses for SAR teams (my insurance and fuel still cost me money whether I charged them or not.)

My friend Mack, a L6 trainer, landed a paid jolly to Florida to cross-train with some senior IPMBA instructors.

Aim low, you'll score low.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
@wiggydiggy
It looks like it’s a London Cycling Campaign article, but can’t find the original.

Edit: I managed to read it. It’s very poor writing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom