Injured as a cyclist? You may have to go to small claims if it's <5k

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe it's because nothing has actually really happened yet in terms of negotiation. I'm still on the frankly infuriating medical merry go round. Not really helped by a not very good 'expert' so I'm waiting to see someone else (ongoing issues from the injuries)

dim

If you commute long distances on busy roads, it's important to get decent video cameras such as the go pro or fly 6 ....

I still have not bought, but will be getting a gopro mounted on my helmet and either another gopro on the back, or the fly 6

should you have an accident, you will have proof of what happened and who's fault it was.

dim

The driver in my case admitted liability within days. No camera needed

you were lucky .... I've read loads of cases on forums where the driver states that it was the cyclist's fault ....

take it to court, and it's your word against his/her's if there are no witnesses ...

with clear video footage, you will stand a better chance if the driver of the car was at fault .... a Fly 6 costs £99 and a reasonable camcorder similar to a gopro costs £30 .... well worth the money IMHO, especially if you cycle lots on very busy roads

vickster

Legendary Member
I had a witness and anyhow the driver was a thoroughly decent guy.
Anecdotally, his son worked in a bike shop, raced etc. He felt very bad. Horrible junction, he misjudged. It was an accident :smile:

There should be no reason to go to court. Liability admitted as I said up thread

I ride busy roads all the time. I have never felt any great need for a camera

vickster

Legendary Member
You got quite lucky, that's great.

My accident the guy drove off and no-one saw anything.
I'm not sure I'd call myself lucky after 3 surgeries and potentially facing a 4th, two for a shoulder injury that may well be hard to prove was caused by the accident

crazyjoe101

Anecdotally at least witnesses often side with drivers.
I had a collision recently where I was travelling up the nearside in a cycle lane and got left hooked by a non indicating car. One other motorist stopped to shout at me for going up the inside too fast and another pulled in and asked the driver if he was OK, she seemed very concerned for his wellbeing after having had a scary cyclist ping dangerously off the side of his huge pickup.
Had I not had the camera I would find myself paying for the damage to both our vehicles because he'd have witnesses willing to state he indicated and that I was riding dangerously, but luckily my camera told a different story, that's the first time I've ever felt like it's 'them and us'.
The tune of 'I was definitely indicating' stopped pretty quick.

I'm not sure I'd call myself lucky after 3 surgeries and potentially facing a 4th, two for a shoulder injury that may well be hard to prove was caused by the accident

Obviously that's a horrible thing to have happen but you'd be in a worse position had you been hit by the scummy type to lie and cheat their way out of the problem.

Top Bottom