Injuries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willo

UKCyclist said:
Cheers for the reply, I'm not too sure about the specifics of bike set-up, can you elaborate on what you mean?

What I meant is ensuring the saddle height etc. is correct so you are in the optimal position on the bike and minimise the risk of straining your knees etc. Plenty of guidance online - example below - or get your bike shop to show you.

http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/bikefit.html

OP
OP
U

UKCyclist

Resting today. Might put a 2.5 miler in later.

I've found out the bike I'm using is actually a mountain bike as opposed to a road bike, I'm not sure what differences this makes?

My foot-arch feels slightly better today, but one thing that's been bothering me is the pain caused by the saddle, does anyone have any good recommendations as to the best saddle covers? or padded shorts? which is best (saddle or shorts), or a combo of both?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Padded shorts with nothing worn underneath. Go on Wiggle and check out their own-brand dhb bib shorts - great value.

Later on you might want to think about some cycling shoes, which will support your feet better especially if you fit some Specialized Body geometry footbeds. Then the next move is clip-in pedals like SPDs.

redddraggon

Blondie
When I started cycling I went straight into commuting 12miles a day, and then a 15mile ride at the weekend.

Never felt the need for rest days on that sort of distance.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
UKCyclist said:
I've found out the bike I'm using is actually a mountain bike as opposed to a road bike, I'm not sure what differences this makes?

If you're using it on the roads, its probably heavier and less efficient than necessary. Knobbly tyres and suspension do not a fast ride make.

MTBs can offer a more upright and open position that is generally more forgiving to the new rider.

In almost all cases, the best bike for the job is the bike you have.

OP
OP
U

UKCyclist

Did a 5 miler earlier instead of 2.5 today, no problems beyond some saddle soreness. Slightly fatigued following the 23 miler yesterday but nothing to dwell on and I feel 80% recovered. It almost feels natural to be cycling now, after 50 miles I think my body's finally getting used to it.

I'm planning on doing 30 miles tomorrow, but best laid plans and all that. One thing I'm a little worried about is getting a puncture, when I'm 15-20 odd miles from home.

arallsopp

UKCyclist said:
One thing I'm a little worried about is getting a puncture, when I'm 15-20 odd miles from home.

There are two ways to learn how to fix a puncture.
1: at leisure, indoors, with youtube in the background if required.
2: on the road.

You will experience a puncture on the road at some point. The trick is to have learnt by then. Make sure you know how to get your wheel off, find the hole, patch or replace the tube, re-seat the tyre, reinflate. Its not so hard, once you've done it.

Actually, there's a third way, but it involves riding to the coast in the dead of night and convincing 60 others to accompany you :biggrin:

OP
OP
U

UKCyclist

Globalti said:
Padded shorts with nothing worn underneath. Go on Wiggle and check out their own-brand dhb bib shorts - great value.

Cheers, will definitely check it out.

Later on you might want to think about some cycling shoes, which will support your feet better especially if you fit some Specialized Body geometry footbeds. Then the next move is clip-in pedals like SPDs.
That'll have to wait for down the line, I just forked out £60 for some running shoes after I hurt my feet. They didn't help much sadly, but I use them to cycle, I think they provide ok protection.

arallsopp said:
If you're using it on the roads, its probably heavier and less efficient than necessary. Knobbly tyres and suspension do not a fast ride make.

MTBs can offer a more upright and open position that is generally more forgiving to the new rider.

In almost all cases, the best bike for the job is the bike you have.

Thanks for the info., I'm on roads but a lot of them are hilly country back roads so perhaps the mountain bike is an ok fit.

OP
OP
U

UKCyclist

arallsopp said:
There are two ways to learn how to fix a puncture.
1: at leisure, indoors, with youtube in the background if required.
2: on the road.

You will experience a puncture on the road at some point. The trick is to have learnt by then. Make sure you know how to get your wheel off, find the hole, patch or replace the tube, re-seat the tyre, reinflate. Its not so hard, once you've done it.

Actually, there's a third way, but it involves riding to the coast in the dead of night and convincing 60 others to accompany you :biggrin:

yeah I was figuring by law of averages it has to happen sometime. I still recall the smell of the patch glue from when I was young, and spoons (or maybe that was something else :biggrin:)

arallsopp

The nasty thing about punctures (not that there's a whole wealth of nice things about them) is that they are far more common in the rain (objects slice wet rubber whilst bouncing off dry) and the dark (assuming you avoid flints and glass that you can see).

This means there's a high chance that the first puncture you have to fix will be in the dark and the rain, cold fingers fumbling, dropping valve caps, etc. Spoons work well in the kitchen, but vergeside cutlery can't be relied on. Suggest a decent puncture repair kit, and a few mins to learn.

Here's a couple of tips though.
1. Lots of us carry a spare inner tube. If you're sure there's nothing sticking through the tyre, a new (pre-talced) tube is often easier than fixing the hole. Keep the old one. Patch it when you get home. Talc, and stash it ready for the next time.
2. Pick the flints and glass out of your tyres *before* they work their way into the tube. A lot of the punctures you'll experience (otherwise) are caused by objects you've picked up on previous rides. The old 'rusty nail' myth is pretty rare.

OP
OP
U

UKCyclist

Did a 5 miler earlier instead of 2.5 today, no problems beyond some saddle soreness. Slightly fatigued following the 23 miler yesterday but nothing to dwell on and I feel 80% recovered. It almost feels natural to be cycling now, after 50 miles I think my body's finally getting used to it.

I'm planning on doing 30 miles tomorrow, but best laid plans and all that. One thing I'm a little worried about is getting a puncture, when I'm 15-20 odd miles from home.

Ok so I did the 30 miles, was tough but I felt good for another 10 by the end. Still thankfully no punctures, however my gears are playing up. Sometimes, in the middle of a gear-change, the power just goes from my pedals and when I rotate them it has no effect on the wheels - despite the fact the chain is still on. Pretty concerning if I'm on some busy roads, I did a 15 miler today and it happened once. I had to get off and move the chain to another rung of the gears manually just to get it to catch again and put some power to the wheels.

Any ideas as to the possible cause?

Also, I've got something which feels like tendonitis in my elbows from holding the handle bars (which have extensions), any advice?

That'll have to wait for down the line, I just forked out £60 for some running shoes after I hurt my feet. They didn't help much sadly, but I use them to cycle, I think they provide ok protection.

I am guessing that this won't help your feet while on the bike - optimal shoes for cycling tend to have very stiff soles for power transfer.
Nonetheless, they should be fine for the distance you are doing.

OP
OP
U

UKCyclist

Ok so I did the 30 miles, was tough but I felt good for another 10 by the end. Still thankfully no punctures, however my gears are playing up. Sometimes, in the middle of a gear-change, the power just goes from my pedals and when I rotate them it has no effect on the wheels - despite the fact the chain is still on. Pretty concerning if I'm on some busy roads, I did a 15 miler today and it happened once. I had to get off and move the chain to another rung of the gears manually just to get it to catch again and put some power to the wheels.

Any ideas as to the possible cause?

Also, I've got something which feels like tendonitis in my elbows from holding the handle bars (which have extensions), any advice?

any ideas guys?

I cycled 8 miles this morning and the pedals stopped working completely (i.e. had no effect on the wheels), so I had to freewheel home 6 miles using my foot on the ground (walked parts of it too)

DavieB

MIA
Sounds like the rear casstte is not working correctly, there is a ratchet inside it (I think ) to allow free wheeling, sounds like this is seized and not catching the cassette to allow power through it.

Im not a bike expert, but I guess this is how it works. Ive never stripped one but Im sure it can be done.

I reckon you should start a new thread on it mate, a lot of people will presume this threas is still about your feet and may not look as far as the last page.

Post it in Know how.

jimboalee

Sounds like the rear casstte is not working correctly, there is a ratchet inside it (I think ) to allow free wheeling, sounds like this is seized and not catching the cassette to allow power through it.

Im not a bike expert, but I guess this is how it works. Ive never stripped one but Im sure it can be done.

I reckon you should start a new thread on it mate, a lot of people will presume this threas is still about your feet and may not look as far as the last page.

Post it in Know how.

A ratchet might be too big, try a mousechet. :biggrin:

Top Bottom