Injuries

UKCyclist

New Member
I just started cycling for fitness 4 days ago, I never really cycled far with any regularity prior to this.

As yet I have no injuries beyond some hand blisters and a sore backside from a hard saddle, but I'm thinking of cycling 15 miles tomorrow. Is this build-up of mileage too soon?

I'm reasonably fit having been running for 6 months and injured my feet (sesamoiditis) so I'm particularly wary of getting injured again.

Hope this is the right part of the forum to receive replies, any and all advice welcome, cheers.
 
OP
U

UKCyclist

New Member
bump
 

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Consult a doctor?

For a normal person, moving up from 11 miles to 15 is not the world's biggest step-up, particularly if you are taking it gently, but given your concern regarding past injuries, I would consult a health professional, rather than someone who has never heard of sesamoiditis.
 

Hont

Guru
Location
Bromsgrove
You bumped this after 24 minutes? Really?

You're far less likely to injure yourself cycling than most sports because it's zero impact and non-ballistic. As long as your bike position is good, then the first sign of doing too much is usually fatigue not injury.
 
OP
U

UKCyclist

New Member
Hont said:
You bumped this after 24 minutes? Really?
Apologies, I'm new to the forum and saw a large list of online users so wasn't sure how quickly someone would normally respond.

You're far less likely to injure yourself cycling than most sports because it's zero impact and non-ballistic. As long as your bike position is good, then the first sign of doing too much is usually fatigue not injury.
Cheers, that's what I was hoping to hear. But, besides injuries from falling, have you ever injured or strained your body cycling?

I read things like achilles tendonitis, foot arch pain, knee strains can be issues from overuse. I don't have a history of these injuries but at the same time I wouldn't like to generate just such a history by over-doing it.

BrumJim said:
For a normal person, moving up from 11 miles to 15 is not the world's biggest step-up, particularly if you are taking it gently
maybe, but 0 to 37 (5+6+11+15) inside a five days just seems like it for someone who is not a regular cyclist. Don't get me wrong, I would like to go as far as I can so I'm intending on pushing the boundaries for distance and was concerned at the possible injuries I could incur.

but given your concern regarding past injuries, I would consult a health professional, rather than someone who has never heard of sesamoiditis.Consult a doctor?
Not worried about the sesamoidis, it won't affect me, it's just the potential for other cycling injuries I'm concerned about, I can't afford to lose cycling for fitness since I've already lost running and boxing.
 

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Cycling injuries:

Tarmac rash - avoid falling off.
Cranial compression - wear helmet, or avoid accidents. Or both.
Dodgy knees - get your seat position and cadence (rate that you pedal at) sorted as a start.
Foreign body in eye - wear glasses
Sunburn - wear sunscreen.

These are probably the most common injuries and ways to prevent them. Other ones are less common.
 

battered

Guru
Dorky pants

You need dorky pants to prevent a sore arse. Gloves for your hands. 15 miles is easy, take it steady and you won't get injured.

Unless you are going at TdF pace 15 miles will take you a little over an hour. If you are fit enough to walk briskly for an hour, you are fit enough to cycle 15 miles in, say, 1:15.
 

Willo

Well-Known Member
Location
Kent
UKCyclist said:
I read things like achilles tendonitis, foot arch pain, knee strains can be issues from overuse. I don't have a history of these injuries but at the same time I wouldn't like to generate just such a history by over-doing it.
I got a road bike as something different to the gym during a long recovery from achilles tendinitis caused through running. While I couldn't run, my physio advised I was fine to push it on the bike and, for me, that worked out fine. I'm back running now, but only once a week as the cycling bug has kind of taken over so I'm now balancing my exercise between the 2. So, from my experience, cycling is relatively low risk in terms of injuries such as achilles tendinitis and it hasn't aggravated my injury at all. Caveat that everyone is different so, if you have had injuries, it's for your doc/physion to advice. As others have said, also make sure your bike is set up correctly for you.
 

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Location
Bristol
When I didn't have a bike and just used to hire one about once a year near a trail - I would usually cycle 18 miles that day, then nothing until the next year. Yes I would have a sore backside and achy muscles but not excessively.

Welcome anyway - listen to your body ... if it starts aching stop upping the miles and chuck in a rest day or two.
 

Steve H

Large Member
I'd say the most important thing is to just get out there regularly. It's all too easy in the first week or so to put together aggressive improvement plans where you are upping the mileage or upping the speed.

I reckon the most important thing for anyone new or returning to the sport is simply to get on the bike 3 or 4 times a week. If you manage to keep getting out there like this for a month or two, you'll soon find you are getting better and stronger. If you push too hard early on, it can make it hard to get out of the door after the first couple of week's enthusiasm.
 
OP
U

UKCyclist

New Member
Thanks to a couple of wrong turns I ended up cycling 23 miles this morning.

After about the 5 mile I started to get some pain in the arch of my right foot where I press down on the pedal, I think this is due to being in the wrong gear going up hills, the resistance is too much. I don't like to change gear too much on a hill because the chain keeps slipping off, happened twice this morning, annoying as hell.

I'm going to take tomorrow off and hopefully the injury will have receded/subsided (or even better, disappeared).
 
OP
U

UKCyclist

New Member
Rob3rt said:
I bought a bike on a saturday and then cycled 26 miles on the sunday, I survived. :ohmy:
That sounded impressive to a noob like me the first time I read it, having just cycled 23 I have a new respect for you, I'm ferked! :smile:

Willo said:
I got a road bike as something different to the gym during a long recovery from achilles tendinitis caused through running. While I couldn't run, my physio advised I was fine to push it on the bike and, for me, that worked out fine. I'm back running now, but only once a week as the cycling bug has kind of taken over so I'm now balancing my exercise between the 2. So, from my experience, cycling is relatively low risk in terms of injuries such as achilles tendinitis and it hasn't aggravated my injury at all. Caveat that everyone is different so, if you have had injuries, it's for your doc/physion to advice. As others have said, also make sure your bike is set up correctly for you.
Cheers for the reply, I'm not too sure about the specifics of bike set-up, can you elaborate on what you mean?

summerdays said:
When I didn't have a bike and just used to hire one about once a year near a trail - I would usually cycle 18 miles that day, then nothing until the next year. Yes I would have a sore backside and achy muscles but not excessively.

Welcome anyway - listen to your body ... if it starts aching stop upping the miles and chuck in a rest day or two.
Looks like I'm going to have to.
 
Top Bottom