Injury after hitting pothole

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fatblokish

Guru
Slightly off topic, but I'd rather councils spent on filling potholes instead of this type of foolishness.

harlow-dismounts.jpg

OP
OP
ushills

ushills

Veteran
While I'm not going to comment on the actual incident I will comment on the effect this has had on myself and my family.

It is now 4 days on and I'm in agony, the neck injury is worrying despite no fractures and I can hardly move or get around. I also have significant bruises on my head despite wearing a helmet and persistent head-aches.

I'm still drinking through a straw and eating soup and soft food.

My daughter finally broke down on Friday and couldn't look or talk to me as she was too upset.

Last night was horrendous as I started getting flashbacks to the day and shaking everytime I thought about hitting the deck.

I seriously do not think I can ever get out on a bike again. My personal confidence has taken a severe knock and I doubt that the two women in my life would want me to either, my daughter phoned my wife when it happen and asked if I was dead. She worries everytime she leaves me asking is dad going to die (she's 10).

While I knew there are risks in cycling I generally would have expected it to be due to reckless cycling, which is why I'm cautious and don't race or a SMIDSY which is why I position myself well and hasn't ever even got close in my 40 years due to anticipation and driver expectation.

The medical care I received was excellent and I'm appreciative of the work done at both Stafford A&E and Stoke-on-Trent Maxio-facial wards, however, emergency dental care in the UK is surprising. I'm still to see a dentist for an assessment as the swelling is a problem and it is not dealt with in A&E, despite them telling me I'd broken two teeth at the root. Seeing dentist for an assessment on Tuesday next week.

rusky

CC Addict
IIRC I had to wait for at least a week until something could be done with my teeth. Swelling, stitches etc.

If there's nothing they can do to save the teeth, there's no point in hurrying to remove the roots.

Once the roots are removed, you'll probably have to wait for a few months for the gum to fill the void left by the roots before you get anything permanent.

Top Bottom