inline brake levers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tallbikes

Regular
hi there, does anyone know if its possible to use inline levers as your only set of brake levers or do they have to be interrupting another set of levers?
im slightly confused about how it would work with a rear brake because it looks like these levers move the housing rather than the cable, sometimes I can only work stuff out if I have the parts in my hands
tektro-rl720-black.jpg

T4tomo

Legendary Member
They have to interrupt a main lever, as you say, they just squish the housing up, effectively making it longer, the cable needs to be anchored to another brake lever.

They do move the housing, making its effective length greater, so pulling the cable tighter.
Same for both brakes - when you pull the lever imagine you've created a gap between the end of the outer (which moves with the lever) and the cable stop it was previously pulled against (as the cable still passes through a fixed point after the lever). Hope that makes sense!
I have them on my Kona and they're ace.
While you couldn't use interrupter levers as your only brakes, there are levers that look almost exactly the same out there but which take the cable end. I know Brick Lane Bikes sell them, but there must be other options out there too that don't require assistance from the government's Help to Buy scheme :okay:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
They can be used as your only lever. It's obvious where the cable outer goes, the inner goes through both bits of the lever with the nipple butted up against the bit of the lever that doesn't move. It's very very obvious when you have the lever to hand what needs to go where. I have these levers on my SS.

OP
OP
tallbikes

tallbikes

Regular
They can be used as your only lever. It's obvious where the cable outer goes, the inner goes through both bits of the lever with the nipple butted up against the bit of the lever that doesn't move. It's very very obvious when you have the lever to hand what needs to go where. I have these levers on my SS.

ok well im collecting a pair tomorrow so im sure il figure something out, glad to know that its a possibility at least :smile:
il post some pics of what I end up doing incase anyone else is interested :smile: cheers

OP
OP
tallbikes

tallbikes

Regular
With my set up the nipple goes into the adjuster,

View attachment 455826

They were used so that I could run the cabling under the tape.

Oh cool yeah , this looks like a handy way to have bar end levers if u also want bar end shifters :-)

OP
OP
tallbikes

tallbikes

Regular
There's different levers for V-brake setups and canti / sidepull brakes.
The Tektro levers in the photo are not V-brake compatible.
I'll be using them with calipers,
But how come they don't work with v brakes but do with calipers? Is it to do with the calipers having a fixed point on the fork that both sides hinge on and with the v brakes only one side would move?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Oh cool yeah , this looks like a handy way to have bar end levers if u also want bar end shifters :-)
Yep, originally I had the gear shifters in TT front extensions but I couldn't get on with those. I didn't want 'brifters' so the only solution seemed to be having the cables loop up from the brake levers until a guy from Julies Cycles suggested fitting those.

Top Bottom