Inner tube madness

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by Mitch89, 8 Apr 2010.

1. Hi everyone,
    Sorry for this question im sure the answer is obvious but . . . . .
    I am just wondering where the best place to by inner tube from is and what brand to get. Also what size would I need to buy, my tires says it is 700*23c.
    Also is it worth investing in any of the anti puncture stuff that I have seen online
    Thanks in advance :biggrin:

Scott

2. Mark_Robson

Mark_Robson Senior Member

Try here,
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-x-Continent...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR?hash=item439d9b3398
    Oh and the slime stuff is rubbish with presta valves.

3. Kestevan

Kestevan Last of the Summer Winos

Just steer clear of specialized tubes, to be blunt they're shite.

4. Practically any make of tube 700 x 19-28c, presta tube will do you. I personally like to avoid Specialized as I find their stems weak.
    I can't really say about slime but I dont think I'd add it to a road bike (assuming thats what you've got).

5. chfp77

chfp77 Active Member

Why is that??

6. Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant

Not at five for £3 they're not! Which is what I bought my last lot at:biggrin:

7. Kestevan

Ah, but have you used one yet?

I bought a pack of 3 Spez tubes a couple of years ago, every single one failed at the base of the valve stem. Now I spend a few pence more and buy Schwalbe tubes, funilly enough I haven't had a single one fail at the stem.

8. OP
    OP
    Mitch89

Mitch89 New Member

Thanks guys all been a big help :blush:.

Will have to pop down to my local halfords to pick one up for now as i dont think i could last the weekend with out the bike.

Last tube broke at the valve stem after only a week of uses and to top it the spair i got at the shop had a split!!!:biggrin:

9. I found out this problem the night before a club run. 1 tube had failed, replaced it, the replacement failed too, same place at the valve stem. Had no spare so I patched one. Sod's law I got a p'ture on the club run and the patch in the spare never worked.

10. Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant

Ah......now you mention it. I did have one bust at the base of the valve, and I blamed it on my track pump which seems awfully reluctant to let go of the valve. When I replaced the tube, I made a small washer out of the old one and fitted it over the new tube's valve stem.

11. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

I've used and carry a Halford tube, they seem a little lighter and flimsier than the nutrak ones from the LBS but noting I could really put my finger on

12. twemp

twemp New Member

I was hoping I could make my first post a useful one!

Anyway I have to agree with others that spesh inner tubes are a waste of money, far too weak at the stem. All of mine failed at the stem.

The best I have found are from Decathlon. Nice and cheap, reinforced around the stem, thoroughly recommended :blush:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/700-x-19-22-presta-set-3890860/

13. Kestevan

The Decathlon ones are great too.

Only problem I've found with them is they have a very short valve, if you have slightly deeper rims it can be a bugger getting enough stem through to get a pump to stay on tightly. They may do a longer stemmed v. but I bought the std ones without looking.

14. threebikesmcginty

threebikesmcginty Corn Fed Hick...

I bought a big box of Continental ones from Ribble in their sale, they've got lovely yellow dust caps too - unless you're rock 'ard and too macho to use caps.

Good price and enough to last for a few years...hopefully.

15. OP
    OP
    Mitch89

Mitch89 New Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice