Inner tube madness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi everyone,
Sorry for this question im sure the answer is obvious but . . . . .
I am just wondering where the best place to by inner tube from is and what brand to get. Also what size would I need to buy, my tires says it is 700*23c.
Also is it worth investing in any of the anti puncture stuff that I have seen online
Thanks in advance :biggrin:

Scott

Mark_Robson

Try here,
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-x-Continent...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR?hash=item439d9b3398
Oh and the slime stuff is rubbish with presta valves.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Ah, but have you used one yet?

I bought a pack of 3 Spez tubes a couple of years ago, every single one failed at the base of the valve stem. Now I spend a few pence more and buy Schwalbe tubes, funilly enough I haven't had a single one fail at the stem.

Thanks guys all been a big help :blush:.

Will have to pop down to my local halfords to pick one up for now as i dont think i could last the weekend with out the bike.

Last tube broke at the valve stem after only a week of uses and to top it the spair i got at the shop had a split!!!:biggrin:

Kestevan said:

I bought a pack of 3 Spez tubes a couple of years ago, every single one failed at the base of the valve stem. Now I spend a few pence more and buy Schwalbe tubes, funilly enough I haven't had a single one fail at the stem.
I found out this problem the night before a club run. 1 tube had failed, replaced it, the replacement failed too, same place at the valve stem. Had no spare so I patched one. Sod's law I got a p'ture on the club run and the patch in the spare never worked.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Kestevan said:

Ah......now you mention it. I did have one bust at the base of the valve, and I blamed it on my track pump which seems awfully reluctant to let go of the valve. When I replaced the tube, I made a small washer out of the old one and fitted it over the new tube's valve stem.

Tynan

Veteran
I've used and carry a Halford tube, they seem a little lighter and flimsier than the nutrak ones from the LBS but noting I could really put my finger on

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
The Decathlon ones are great too.

Only problem I've found with them is they have a very short valve, if you have slightly deeper rims it can be a bugger getting enough stem through to get a pump to stay on tightly. They may do a longer stemmed v. but I bought the std ones without looking.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I bought a big box of Continental ones from Ribble in their sale, they've got lovely yellow dust caps too - unless you're rock 'ard and too macho to use caps.

Good price and enough to last for a few years...hopefully.

Top Bottom