Inner Tube Sealant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyone use any and is it any good, particularly the pre-installed type? A 20" tyre on a recumbent is difficult enough to get off in the garage, I don't fancy a roadside repair.
I use pre filled slime tubes, and I carry a bottle of slime with me on a ride. It's saved my bacon a couple of times, but is only any use on very small punctures that would lead to a deflation over several hours, in my experience. That said, lots of punctures are exactly this.

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I use pre filled slime tubes, and I carry a bottle of slime with me on a ride. It's saved my bacon a couple of times, but is only any use on very small punctures that would lead to a deflation over several hours, in my experience. That said, lots of punctures are exactly this.
Thanks, I'll try Slime. Like you say, most puntures are pin pricks.

classic33

Leg End Member
The only failure I've had on 20 inch wheels, was last year when I'd a screwdriver shoved through the tire, tape and innertube. Innertube last seen in York.

Lonestar

Veteran
I had a successful go with Tyreweld as it was a last resort thing at Westferry on a return commute...Tyre went down and I had a can of Tyreweld in my bag...Saved me hassle and got me home (five and a half miles)...Inside them tyre I found the rim tape had perished and worn against the inner tube.So it came in useful this time on my high pressure rear tyre.

Also used it on the Audax which had a slow p*nct*r* and it's been fine since.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've used the sort you install when you have a puncture. Couple of Zefal, couple of Aldi. Mostly works OK. It's not really any quicker than a glueless patch on tyres that are reasonably easy to remove but it is cleaner... when it works! When it fails to work, it's very very messy and a devil to wash off of things.

hoopdriver

Guru
Just use sturdier tyres for commutes and touring - Schwalbe Marathon Plus are good - and save yourself the mess and hassle

Drago

Legendary Member
I used Schwalbes and Slime when commuting. Twice in 8 years objects penetrated the tyres and caused a puncture, and twice the tubes stayed inflated and allowed me to complete my journey without interruption.

The downside is the slime acts as a fluid damper and makes the bike feel slightly dead and unresponsive, but if getting to work - or home - without any drama is a priority then they're an excellent last line of defence.

Top Bottom