Inner tube sizing help please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gez73

Veteran
Looking for spares for the other half's vintage Raleigh. Unsure of sizing. There seems to be an awful lot of similar sized tubes. Picture included. Thanks Gerry
DSC_1415.JPG

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Inner tube sizing isn't as critical as all that. These from Evan's should do the job at a bargain price.
https://www.evanscycles.com/fwe-26-inch-presta-valve-inner-tube-EV170029
Presta valve too which should suit. Most would be Shraeder which might be too big for the rim.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gez73

Gez73

Veteran
It's the 1 3/8 that confuses me. Would the 1.2-1.5 version suit better?
Need Schrader valve too!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
You'd really want a Shraeder valve tube for an old 26" 3-speed roadster though as the Presta valves are slimmer and may be a bit of a loose fit in the wheel rim hole. Note that the 26" English roadster rims are slightly larger than 26" MTB rims, as the sizing refers to the overall diameter with tyre fitted - so the MTB rims are smaller because the tyres themselves are bigger. In an emergency, you might well find a 26" MTB tube will work OK, so long as you can avoid pinching it with the tyre bead during fitting.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If you can find somewhere stocking Kenda inner tubes, it's the ones with "650A" written on the box in big white letters! Schwalbe markings are more subtle, but it'll say "AV12" fairly large on the box (assuming Schrader) or "DV12" if you like the superior Woods valve (uses Presta pump), as well as that tyre size in smaller writing. I don't think 26 inch mountain bike tubes will be happy in it (too small rim diameter and usually a fatter tube), but they might work.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
If you look to the right it has the etro sizing. It is 650x 35mm
The ERTO is 37-590, the number given on the left is the width, so the important number is the latter.

ERTO diameter for 286" mtb tyres is 559 which may be a little small but would probably work. A better fit would be 27.5" which have an ERTO diameter of 584, and should fit fine. 700c (ERTO 622) tubes fit 27" (ERTO 630) for example

tyred

Legendary Member
Just type 26 x 1 3/8" tube into ebay and you'll get lots of matches. The rim will take Shrader or Woods valves. For a bike like that, I'd go with Woods but if you're only replacing one tube or just want a spare, obviously just use whatever you have at the moment to avoid pump compatibility issues out on the road.

Top Bottom