Inner tube sizing help please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Gez73

Gez73

Veteran
Thanks for the replies. Will get online tonight and have a look. I think Decathlon have a suitable one. It's just that 1 3/8 bit that confused me.
I think this is okay?
zoom_1b276716738447d983ca1c0afdda790a.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I don't think so but others seem to disagree. I think https://www.decathlon.co.uk/275x17-22-bike-inner-tube-schrader-id_8328070.html would be a closer fit but decathlon don't seem to sell 590mm tubes. The one you've pictured is 559mm across which I think will be awkward to stretch to 590mm.

The 1 3/8 denotes an old English size by being a fraction. This means the 26" is measured across the rim in one way, whereas the 1.5 in the tube you've pictured denotes an American size by being a decimal, which means the 26" is measured across the tyre in another way, similar but not the same as French sizes (the numbers followed by A, B, C and so on). English 26" wheels are only slightly smaller than American 27.5" IIRC. It's a mess. If you want to avoid confusion stick to the ISO size, formerly ETRTO, usually two numbers with a dash between for tyres and tubes.

tyred

Legendary Member
It'll be fine, as I said tubes aren't that critical.

I disagree. It would be fine to use a 700x28c tube in a 700x32c or vice versa as the diameter is the same and the difference in size is minimal.

There is quite a big difference between Mtb 26" and British 26" - the Mtb size is both wider and over an inch less in diameter.

It is easier to just get the correct size when they are cheaply and easily available. If the OP wants to buy in the high Street rather than online, then Halfords stock them and any independent lbs should be able to get them in if they don't already have some in stock.

Top Bottom