Inner tube streched maybe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Just changed a tyre on the winter bike. Had a hell of a job getting the old tube to fit in the new tyre, still can't be certain its not folded. Old tyre 25mm, new 23mm. Tube ancient. Is it possible/likely the old tube had stretched while in the old 25mm tyre?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Possible, but wouldn’t really matter. Put a bit of air in the tube before putting it in.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

Possible, but wouldn’t really matter. Put a bit of air in the tube before putting it in.
Yes did all that, as usual. Enough air to remove kink was too much to get tube in tyre. It's in now anyway. Never happened before, but maybe it's the first time I've gone down a tyre size rather than replacing the same or larger.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I was going to say if its in don't worry but agree with mjr above on reflection. Not worth the potential risk /inconvenience.

Halfords tubes are cheap and seem to last well.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

I was going to say if its in don't worry but agree with mjr above on reflection. Not worth the potential risk /inconvenience.

Halfords tubes are cheap and seem to last well.
I've got plenty of tubes. Michelin Airstop are my preferred ones, light and (important to me), smooth valve barrel. (But that's for another thread, I suspect :pump:)

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

I could always shorten the tube I suppose ......
001.jpg

I like the advice for fixing'a really bad gash'. Those were the days .............. (1950)

Ajax Bay

Guru
Old tyre 25mm, new 23mm. Tube ancient. Is it possible/likely the old tube had stretched while in the old 25mm tyre?
Like @mjr and @Banjo I would change the tube at an early opportunity. It is 'old' and I think it's quite likely stretched, even if only a bit. Also it might be the 25-32 version as opposed to the 20-25 version - see this Wiggle link for what I mean. Having 'trouble' getting the tube to stay in while putting the second tyre bead on means that if you get a puncture during a ride and want to reuse that inner, there's a greater chance (with a larger dimension tube) of pinching or blowing out (not using levers and a few pumps and careful checking all round before inflating fully are the best ways of mitigating those risks).

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

It's 18-23. Checked it and it's fine now. It's unrepaired so I'll leave it in the tyre for now. The tyre goes on and off without levers so if I need to put a new tube in it's no hassle. The tyre was a brand new folding, and they can be a bit awkward to put on fresh from the pack. It is also quite a low profile '23' as well.

Globalti

Legendary Member
All of the problems described above could be avoided if people just put talc on their tubes and tyre beads. Talc is the best dry lubricant for sticky rubber.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

All of the problems described above could be avoided if people just put talc on their tubes and tyre beads. Talc is the best dry lubricant for sticky rubber.
Can't see how this applies in this case as I use copious amounts of Johnsons Baby Talc, always have :okay:

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

I buy the large 500gm pack, so there's plenty for all sorts, but for the, ahem, more personal uses, I prefer Roberts Borotalco ;).

Top Bottom