Inner tubes, fix or ditch?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swede54

The coldest ride for months and just as I get as far from home as my planned route would take me the P******* fairy pays a visit for the first time since I rediscovered cycling 2 years ago. By the time I finally persuaded the tyre off the rim my hands were so cold that I didn't notice the bleeding knuckles. Rather than mess around with a repair I swapped out the tube so my question is what do I do with the old one, bin it or repair it and hope the patch is still there in 2 years time when I need to use it?

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
loads of people fix punchures and have no issue with the tubes. I personally bin the tube and tyre and replace

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I'd only bother repairing them to save cash if you're frequently getting punctures to save buying a million tubes, the knackered ones make good padding for brackets etc :smile:

1 puncture in 2 years though is good going, do you ride on the Redways much? I was lucky to manage 2 weeks without a visit before i got marathon plus tyres (also from MK).

Mr Haematocrit

You bin the tube and tire for every puncture? Feel like sending me your old tires? :tongue:

I have a rota for people who want my old tyres and tubes, i can add you to the list if you want :smile:
I was visited by the punchure fairy today actually so have a pair of schwalbe ultremo zx hd with white sidewalls I can send you if you want. Have a set of conti 4000 on order

gbb

Legendary Member
Repair, why ever not.
TBF, i havnt had one puncture this year,(i think) but i keep a tube (normally new) rolled up tight in my saddlebag, but that would be replaced by the repaired one should the new one get used.
Perhaps i'm a tightwad, why would you throw £4 away ?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Fix the tube?
tumblr_mb9teem4a91r2chl9.gif

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
If it isn't cold or wet I'll find a comfortable place to sit down and repair on the road. Otherwise I'll replace the tube and repair it at home, usually while watching TV.

HovR

Über Member
I have a rota for people who want my old tyres and tubes, i can add you to the list if you want :smile:
I was visited by the punchure fairy today actually so have a pair of schwalbe ultremo zx hd with white sidewalls I can send you if you want. Have a set of conti 4000 on order

Really? Well I'd love some new (used) tires if you're serious. Things are a bit tight at the moment with me needing new mud guards for club runs, new brake blocks and holders, and a set of winter gear. :smile:

Mr Haematocrit

PM me your details and I'll send them to you, won't be till later in the week though as I have a really manic week at work, also got some brake blocks you can have, they are for normal wheels and I run nothing but carbon clinchers these days, I got them when I upgraded my calipers to TRP magnesium jobbys

sittingbull

Veteran
I've had 7 or 8 punctures this year :rolleyes: - one was two miles down the road from the previous one (that was a defective new tube).

My front tube has 2 or 3 patches on it and holds air better than the new tube I put in the rear mid-week :wacko:

Just curious - why do people superglue cuts in tyres?

OP
OP
swede54

swede54

I'd only bother repairing them to save cash if you're frequently getting punctures to save buying a million tubes, the knackered ones make good padding for brackets etc :smile:

1 puncture in 2 years though is good going, do you ride on the Redways much? I was lucky to manage 2 weeks without a visit before i got marathon plus tyres (also from MK).

I do use the Redways, either deliberately on the hybrid with Bontrager hardcase or to avoid the busier roads on my way out of town. Todays incident happened 15 miles from the nearest Redway. I've put a new tube in the bag and think I will fix the puncture as a second spare as it was only a small hole.

Top Bottom