Inner tubes, fix or ditch?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milo

Guru
Always repair. Staggered at the amount that don't frankly very wasteful.

Domestique

Über Member
Repair.
I always carry a spare tube and swap over at the roadside. Then when I am home patch up. I keep patching until the tube stops holding pressure then recycle.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I change tubes on the road, and repair just about everything except snakebites back at home. I save up the punctured tubes until I've got enough punctured ones to use up a puncture kit in one go. That way the glue doesn't go off.

Davidc

Guru
Bin, are repaired punchures supose to take 120psi?

Yes, no problem.

(Use decent self adhesive ones rather than Asda kit ones though)

I change tubes on the road, and repair just about everything except snakebites back at home. I save up the punctured tubes until I've got enough punctured ones to use up a puncture kit in one go. That way the glue doesn't go off.
Doesn't go off on the self adhesive ones either. I just mend them when I get back and stick 'em on the test rim until the next one.

Don't get all that many punctures with modern tyres fortunately.

The only issue I have with the Park Tools self adhesive ones I've been using is that they won't stick to each other. One of our bikes got a pair of hawthorn spikes where we needed to put 2 patches on and it didn't work. Had to use traditional rubber and glue patches.

I just keep merrily patching (at home - not on the road - just do a swap there) until either a big tear (that I wouldn't trust a patch on anyway) or a patch fails. Whyever not? - I kind of (in my maybe bigotted way) associate the chuck-them school with racer weight weenies who think everything has to be just so perfect -maybe they are worried that a patch will add weight. I'm sure some of my tubes have 3 or maybe more patches on and I don't think they are any liklier to suffer another puncture than a new tube.
All due respect to the frightening blue one, but I don't trust instant patches after one or two bad experiences. Usually use Tip-Top from those German folk though I also have a distinctly retro looking american patch kit where the patches seem thicker than the original tube! Ride on.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Repair upto three punctures, or upon age of tube. I don't repair my latex tubes on the best bike, patches don't always take to latex, and it's the best bike, so gets best stuff, but can't afford that on all the bikes.

If its a small glass or thorn hole repair. Any bigger or a snake bite, then bin/recycle for gripping use.

Tyres I run till showing wear or age or any damage.

I have a good stock of new tubes for 700c race, 700c hybrid, 26", 24", 20" tyres.

Not used Park patches yet. I find if you let the glue dry for 10 minutes then stick the patch on and don't try to pull the film off then things stick.

Oh I don't patch at the roadside. New tube in, patch at home or work. I have a couple of spare tubes and puncture kit at work just in case also.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Repair untill they are no good and try to maintain tyres by checking for debris stuck in the tread then putting superglue in small cuts .
I am on my 3rd rear tyre this year as i have had some bad luck with road debris even though i ride in secondary most of the time , i had one yesterday when i found a metal spike had gone through and made a hole to big to repair the tyre .Glad i had a tyre boot and i always carry 2 tubes and even more glad i have a few tyres in stock as its a long time tll payday.

subaqua

What’s the point
Had one this morning , well it happened last night outside the house i expect, as the tyre was up when i got home but down when i went to ride in this morning.

I changed the tube as its quicker, and will repair the tube tonight when i have time. The puncture fairy was kind , and its only the 3rd visit in 2 years.

VamP

Banned
I just keep merrily patching (at home - not on the road - just do a swap there) until either a big tear (that I wouldn't trust a patch on anyway) or a patch fails. Whyever not? - I kind of (in my maybe bigotted way) associate the chuck-them school with racer weight weenies who think everything has to be just so perfect -maybe they are worried that a patch will add weight. I'm sure some of my tubes have 3 or maybe more patches on and I don't think they are any liklier to suffer another puncture than a new tube.
All due respect to the frightening blue one, but I don't trust instant patches after one or two bad experiences. Usually use Tip-Top from those German folk though I also have a distinctly retro looking american patch kit where the patches seem thicker than the original tube! Ride on.

I rather think that they would rather not take a chance of a repaired tube failing during a race. I've had that happen and the recriminations that I heaped upon my own head were not fun to live with. £2 for the peace of mind that you've done all you can to be prepared for the big day is well worth it.

tadpole

I repair and keep repairing them unless the hole is too close to the seam, (they always seems to leak when I patch them there). (good tip about super glueing the holes )

Sorry Vamp, maybe I wasn't quite clear- I didn't actually mean folk in competitive races as such (amateur or pro) but the countless folk riding racing bikes in a more general way. I can understand why anyone preparing for an actual race would want everything just so.

I always take the tube home, repair it and install it immediately, my repaired tube is fine at 110psi.
Glad to see that you are a repairer.
I personally think it's best to inflate repaired tubes off the bike though and leave them at least overnight to check that the repair is fine. After that it's all packaged up in clingfilm and treated as a new tube. Which it is.

Top Bottom