Inner tubes, fix or ditch?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
loads of people fix punchures and have no issue with the tubes. I personally bin the tube and tyre and replace
V...are you serious.

How often do you pick up a puncture then, I'm assuming/hoping its fairly rare.

I've had 5 in the last 2 weeks, (and replaced one brand new tyre because of 3 of them) but at that rate I'd have done around £150 on tyres this month as I'd have replace a set twice.

I type this as this calls to me from the side of my eye.
IMG01468-20121019-1153_zps5c5b3d61.jpg

sigh.

picked it up 100 yards from my office, huge cardboard box staple gave me a snakebite puncture.

Plush she's filthy, poor old thing.

Davidc

Guru
I have had some failures recently with (Park Tools) glueless patches failing some time after the repair has been done.
I carry a proper repair kit now, as well as 1 or 2 replacement tubes. I would still use the glueless ones as a get you home repair though.
Mine are still all good (at least the ones for which I still have the tubes) but I've only been using them for about 2 1/2 years. If I start having trouble it'll be straight back to conventional ones for permanent repairs but wouldn't take a repair kit out with me any more.

When out I only repair tubes by the road if I don't have another good tube left in the tool kit so nearly all patching is done in the dry and with enough time to roughen up and clean the tube which helps with making long lasting repairs.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
And we are also assuming that you inhabit the same planet as us which has finite resources and is rapidly running out of enough big holes in the ground to toss stuff into! :stop:

The majority of my tyres and tubes go to other cyclists and when they do not wish to have them I know a lady from Camden Market who turns them into items of clothing such as bags, jackets and similar and wants them. I do not leave my tubes in the road and do not put them waste disposal.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android

CDO <-- In the right order.
Joking apart I am quite obsessive by nature and have some traits which I believe are quite bizarre, I'm not a believer of putting labels on things but I have been associated with that term.
given up trying to understand myself :crazy:

U

User6179

CDO <-- In the right order.
Joking apart I am quite obsessive by nature and have some traits which I believe are quite bizarre, I'm not a believer of putting labels on things but I have been associated with that term.
given up trying to understand myself :crazy:

My m8 has ocd but I wont tell you what things he does incase it adds to your list of things you do ^_^

I would put money on most people being a little ocd, I know a guy who spends more time washing his car than driving it but if it makes him happy :thumbsup:

Svendo

Guru
I would put money on most people being a little ocd, I know a guy who spends more time washing his car than driving it but if it makes him happy :thumbsup:

I saw a documentry on OCD a while ago, that addressed this point. Obsession and compulsion are normal human traits that vary in individuals. Who'd clean anything otherwise? And a lot of people have examples of O or C that might be beyond the norm or irrational; but these people don't have the D aspect. Where the degree of C to do your Os is overwheming and impinges unacceptable on your normal life, the it has become a Disorder.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
2 flats this week, both picked up on one section of my commute although its been maybe 6 months since my last one so i cant moan.
Replaced the tyres after the 1st one although they have plenty of wear and got a mahoosive piece of glass in the rear wheel for my pains , it was dark and foggy so i did not even see the debris .

Matt1705

Über Member
What is a good thing to use as a tyre boot? Something I might have lying around the house would be good...
Doesn't need to last for long, my new tyre should be here this week :-)

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I only repair tubes if I can be bothered and the puncture is very small. For some reason I always end up with a slow puncture in that tube as well.

I have had a Vittoria tyre on the rear wheel for the past 2 months now and I havent sustained a puncture with it yet. I have a Conti CityRide tyre on the front which has done about 6,000/7,000 miles and still has life in it.

Tubes are so cheap nowadays that there isnt much point in repairing them.

U

User6179

I saw a documentry on OCD a while ago, that addressed this point. Obsession and compulsion are normal human traits that vary in individuals. Who'd clean anything otherwise? And a lot of people have examples of O or C that might be beyond the norm or irrational; but these people don't have the D aspect. Where the degree of C to do your Os is overwheming and impinges unacceptable on your normal life, the it has become a Disorder.

Wish I was compulsed to fix puntures , had a bag of tubes sitting which had 9 tubes in it in need of fixing , fixed 5 so far but ran out of patches (Thank God).

Top Bottom