Inner tubes or repair kit.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfraser

Über Member
Just make sure you give the surface of the tube you are mending a really good going over with the metal scraper before attaching the patch. I thought this was necessary to give the glue a "key" but it was suggested on here the other day that you need to break up the glaze on the tube moulding, which makes sense too. Either way, do it!
I learnt that the hard way. I thought I'd fix the puncture rather than just put a new tube in as it was a nice day and I wasn't in a rush. Twice I fixed it and twice the patch came off. Then the heavens opened so it was new tube and home!

Tojo

Über Member
I still only carry one tube and instant patches even after a few years ago having 5 punctures in about 2 mile, 3 within 500m (yes Farmers and hedge cutting) and before anyone comes back with did you check the inside of the tyre.....yes and removed the thorns every time, 2 on 1 occasion and still didn't use the new spare tube... but needless to say I changed it when I got back and cut the good bits off the old one for those handy lacky bands to stop little wee rattles in the old under saddle bag.....Sorted and re-cycled.. excuse the pun..:whistle:

fatjel

Veteran
I always have two tubes and a repair kit.
I often fiddle around with gluey gunk and chalk ,
don't know why cos I've never successfully repaired a puncture yet

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
1 tube and Lezyne self-adhesive patches.

I've not found other brands of patch as good as the Lezyne ones which will hold 110psi no problem.

PK99

Legendary Member
Oooo instant patches, I'd never heard of them, and now I have. I like the look of them, no mess. I call it a kit as that's what it says on the tin(Box) but then I call my uniform "kit" and pretty much everything else "kit" too. 97Kg and 8Bar, now that's a repair!

best to think of them as "get you home" kit and to do a proper repair at your leisure and in the warm

PK99

Legendary Member
Just make sure you give the surface of the tube you are mending a really good going over with the metal scraper before attaching the patch. I thought this was necessary to give the glue a "key" but it was suggested on here the other day that you need to break up the glaze on the tube moulding, which makes sense too. Either way, do it!

the surface of the tube is covered in "release agent" from the moulding process - you don't want the patch to release from the tube!!!

Top Bottom