Inner tubes - wtf???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I have a Specialized Allez that this morning greeted me with a flattish front tyre... ;) No biggie, I thought.

Track pump out and dust cap removed.... ah, seems the valve stem broke off last time I pumped it up (I remember now, d'oh!!) so I had to abandon the ride.

So, I'm looking on Wiggle for replacement tubes for my 700 x 23 wheels... and they seem to have discontinued the Specialized ones and the Conti's are not in until 'Late June' (which it already is...) - wtf????

So, question is this - can anyone recommend a decent on-line place that will sell multi-packs of tubes that I can use on my Allez? It seems to require some form of longer stem on the tube, although the last one I got seemed waaaaay too long and looked a bit silly poking out so much.

Cheers m'dears. :angry:

PS - Also, is there any reason why I can't switch to the shrader valve type as I just can't seem to get along with the incredibly delicate presta ones? (or do they simply not do the correct size?)

byegad

Legendary Member
I routinely use Schrader on all my bikes. I routinely drill out the Presta hole on a new bike and swap the tubes.
To do this you need to be confident that you will not ruin the rim, also file off any sharp edges and be careful to collect the aluminuim sharps that come off as you drill.
If you're running 23 mm tyres you may well find that 700 by 23 tubes are all Presta so there's no point in drilling out. More importantly the rim is narrow and a Schrader size hole is inadvisable!
I too had problems with Presta valves breaking/bending but I ride wider tyres on wider rims!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Sharky, if you're in central Manc, nip down to the bike boutique - they do Schwalbe tubes (never had any problems with them) for £3-£3.50 ea which should tide you over (they have Michelin airstop too, which are quite nice but have a smooth valve stem - I found it harder to get the pump on those). I've not had problems with broken valve stems (touches wood) on Conti, Schwalbe or Michelin tubes.

Online, Ribble were doing good deals on packs of Conti tubes, and Chain Reaction always seem competitive pricewise...

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Thanks everyone. Didn't see the Ritcheys 5 pack on Wiggle.. grrr. :biggrin:

Ended up at ukbikeshop.co.uk and got a cheapo workstand too. I think the tubes will work out at 3.60 each once the p&p charge (a quid) has been shared over the number of items. :wacko:

Hopefully I shouldn't have to get any more for a while... but if I do I'll shop around a bit more (perhaps before I actually need the blighters!!) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

hackbike 6

I just bought 25 innertubes and also 4 thorn proof inner tubes which are so thick i thought i had bought `tubs` when i got them out.unfortunately on the 2nd ride out i suffered a p*nct*re on the thorn resistant as a nail went through the tyre.i was relieved in a way as it was easy to find.usually buy my tubes on ebay.

Wolf04

Sh4rkyBloke said:
Thanks everyone. Didn't see the Ritcheys 5 pack on Wiggle.. grrr. :angry:

Ended up at ukbikeshop.co.uk and got a cheapo workstand too. I think the tubes will work out at 3.60 each once the p&p charge (a quid) has been shared over the number of items. :wacko:

Hopefully I shouldn't have to get any more for a while... but if I do I'll shop around a bit more (perhaps before I actually need the blighters!!) ;) ;)

Is that the classic I've saved on the tubes so I owe it to myself to buy the workstand?:evil::evil:

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
^^ Lol - not got Kendas, and haven't (touch wood) required a replacement for a while... well, since changing to my new tyres in fact.

The stuff was ordered yesterday morning and arrive today just as I was leaving to take the nippers to the incredible, magic, money drain nursery. :rolleyes: