left right wtf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tinywheels

Über Member
OK,I'm fed up of cyclists not knowing which side of the cycle path is right.
in the winter months I keep coming across unlit and frankly dangerous muppets. is it too much to ask, that they obey the rules of the road.
ie,keep left. stay awake and alert. have some sort of lightning.
I have had 3 near misses in the past 48 hours.
it's not rocket science.
this is on a dedicated cycle path, I won't mention the numerous pedestrian incidents.
am I pissing into the wind,or is this a common problem.
every trip is an adventure. if I hit one of these turkeys, it will be painful,I weigh a fair bit. aaaarrrrrgggghhhhh

D

Deleted member 1258

Not all people have been taught the rules of the road, and some people aren't interested.

Maybe they're on the wrong side became they've just avoided a pedestrian ?

Some places it's impossible to stay on the left all the time due to litter/roots/people.

If you've had three close calls in two days - perhaps slow down ?

If you hit someone it's quite likely you'll hurt yourself too?

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Just be amazed that the likely thieves that are riding the stolen bike are even using the cycle lane....

I have had several problems - but most seem to obey the rules as if it was a road

the categories I have problems with - and try to recognise are
a) On a canal path - some people are scared to pass on the water side and insist on being on the other side - thus forcing me to the right where I should go left (UK)
b) some people - generally wobbly ones - seem to go right because they are not used to cycling and don;t know the rules
c) some people are entitled idiots and think they have the right to ride where they want because they are riding 'properly' (i.e. fast or on a 'proper bike' which may be a 'good' mountain bike or a road bike) and I am an old bloke wearing hi-via on a hybrid ebike
d) people who have been forced onto the wrong side - e.g. by having just passed an obstacle like a walker/dog - inwhich case they might find it easier to stay where they are rather than both cyclists weaving across the path at the same time - these are probably being sensible

I try to recognise them early and, if possible, just stop on the far left and wait for them to work it out - except for obviously wobbly or nervous people who I just let go where they want and do what I need to avoid a crash

Punkawallah

Über Member
Well, now that you’ve got that off your chest . . . :-)

Count your blessings. Cycle paths around here are twinned with pedestrian paths, and gaily meander between one side of the pairing and the other. So, you are regularly faced with oncoming pedestrians on their side of the ‘road’. Oh, the joys :-)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
A near miss on a shared use cycle path isn't going to be all that dangerous. Speeds should be pretty low. Pedestrians will be either or both sides of the path, that's just the way it is, and this may result in cyclists being on the "wrong" side too.

If I want to make more rapid progress, I take the road. If I want a slower, more relaxed but somewhat frustrating experience (not to mention broken glass and dog excrement enhanced), I go for the cycle path.

Edit ... I missed the bit about it being a "dedicated" cycle path. Does that mean pedestrians are banned from using it? I'm not familiar with those.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
The "rules of the road" don't apply as such to cycle paths. Some of them have signage to indicate which side you should ride on (and where the pedestrians should walk - we don't have any dedicated cycle paths round here), but many don't.

While many cyclists will ride as if it is a road, and keep to the left, not all will - many on those paths have never been drivers.

It is up to you, if riding on those paths, to ride at a speed where you can easily take avoiding action if necessary.

Though there is no excuse for them riding without lights after dark - I see this every commute, not only on the shared use paths, but even on the roads in town.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The "rules of the road" don't apply as such to cycle paths.
They do. Legally, cycle paths and other bull shoot terms to avoid using the word "cycleway" are highways and highways laws apply, including the 1830s one on keeping left.

However, the official Cyclecraft book contains the following bad advice on cycleways: "riding position should be just to left of centre of the track" (p151). This is incorrect and basically like middle lane hogging on a motorway. It's ironic that it follows a complaint that "user discipline on cycle tracks is usually much poorer than on roads"!

But I doubt many of the salmon have read Cyclecraft anyway.

Keep left. Ring your bell or shout hello if they're not looking up. Signal left if needed. Slow, stop and brace or use the verge if you must. I've only seen one hit in 40 years on cycleways and I think the salmoning rider was drunk, due to the giggles as they hit the ground.

Alex321

Veteran
They do. Legally, cycle paths and other bull shoot terms to avoid using the word "cycleway" are highways and highways laws apply, including the 1830s one on keeping left.
Accepted. I was wrong on this.

Only when meeting others, but that is rather the point here.

The actual text says " or if the driver of any waggon, cart, or other carriage whatsoever, or of any horses, mules, or other beast of draught or burthen meeting any other waggon, cart, or other carriage, or horses, mules, or other beasts of burthen, shall not keep his waggon, cart or carriage, or horses, mules, or other beasts of burthen, on the left or near side of the road "

And it is a fine at level 1 on the standard scale for offending against that provision.

Bikes obviously coming under "or other carriage whatsoever".

Why do you describe "cycle paths" as an attempt to avoid using the word "cycleway"? I really don't understand why you think that would be any better a term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom