Inners for Road Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi All,

Just wondered what people did with punctures on road bikes? If you have a puncture do you buy a new one or use a repair kit - just with the size of them I was thinking repairing was pointless.

Also I am having some trouble with my back derailuer; the hanger. When I change gears on the left handle bars (controlling the gears at the crank) it takes time for them to change from 1 to 2 or to 3. I was out at the weekend and someone said that the hanger at the back was bent. I had the bike in at the bike shop to get some work on it and had new gear cables put on - would a bet derailuer be noticeable to someone in a bike shop especially when fitting new cables?

Any advice welcome! :smile:

Martin

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Hi All,

Just wondered what people did with punctures on road bikes? If you have a puncture do you buy a new one or use a repair kit - just with the size of them I was thinking repairing was pointless.

Also I am having some trouble with my back derailuer; the hanger. When I change gears on the left handle bars (controlling the gears at the crank) it takes time for them to change from 1 to 2 or to 3. I was out at the weekend and someone said that the hanger at the back was bent. I had the bike in at the bike shop to get some work on it and had new gear cables put on - would a bet derailuer be noticeable to someone in a bike shop especially when fitting new cables?

Any advice welcome! :smile:

Martin
Well i must have spent 40 minutes one day "mending" a puncture, but it didn't hold the air after all that. I'm pretty useless at puncture repairs and fitting tubes,so i wait till the following day then take the wheel to my local bike shop where they'll fit a new tube for a fiver.
I reckon punctures come in threes.:pump:

Pauluk

I carry two spare tubes and fit a new tube if I'm out when the puncture occurs, then I repair the punctured tube at home.

The bike shop wouldn't necessarily have noticed a bent rear derailleur and as long as the gear worked on a stand that would be good enough for them, in my experience. The problem may just be cable tension but its worth checking out.

If they put new gear cables on then they should have re indexed it and should have noticed the bent hanger if indeed your friend is correct and it is bent. I use to repair tubes years ago but now they are dirt cheap and uber thin so I just carry a couple of spares.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I carry two spare tubes and fit a new tube if I'm out when the puncture occurs, then I repair the punctured tube at home.

This ^

2 tubes and a small 'kit' just in case. Repair at home in the warmth and dry ! Not that these 'issues' happen that often enough to be concerned about them.

MickL

Über Member
two tubes, after blowing my both my inners hitting a cracked manhole cover, I had one spare and the it was impossible to fix the blown tubes, to much damage.
I learnt a very important lesson that day, carry two allways.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Carrying tubes is my preferred method, its just so much easier change a tube on the road than trying to find a puncture (unless you happen to puncture somewhere where there is a couple of inches of water to submerge it in sections). Finding a puncture at home though is no problem, so I just fix them at home and then re-use them.

Well i must have spent 40 minutes one day "mending" a puncture, but it didn't hold the air after all that. I'm pretty useless at puncture repairs and fitting tubes,so i wait till the following day then take the wheel to my local bike shop where they'll fit a new tube for a fiver.
I reckon punctures come in threes.:pump:

You really should learn to do it yourself. Changing a tube is very very easy.

Robeh

+1 same here..

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Tubes aren't that cheap these days generally unless you bulk buy online.
Sittingduck has summed it up.

PpPete

Legendary Member
A shop that replaces cables should be re-indexing the gears thereafter?
Do that job properly, and it really doesnt take long with the bike on the stand, you'd have to be a blind muppet not to notice a bent hanger.
Time for a change to a different shop IMO.

Peowpeowpeowlasers

two tubes, after blowing my both my inners hitting a cracked manhole cover, I had one spare and the it was impossible to fix the blown tubes, to much damage.
I learnt a very important lesson that day, carry two allways.

If the hole is too large to repair, cut the tube completely and tie off each end with a tight knot. You'll have a small flat spot on the tyre but at least you'll get home.

Top Bottom