Inners for Road Bikes

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by Martin Waugh, 30 Jul 2012.

1. Martin Waugh

Martin Waugh Regular

Hi All,

Just wondered what people did with punctures on road bikes? If you have a puncture do you buy a new one or use a repair kit - just with the size of them I was thinking repairing was pointless.

Also I am having some trouble with my back derailuer; the hanger. When I change gears on the left handle bars (controlling the gears at the crank) it takes time for them to change from 1 to 2 or to 3. I was out at the weekend and someone said that the hanger at the back was bent. I had the bike in at the bike shop to get some work on it and had new gear cables put on - would a bet derailuer be noticeable to someone in a bike shop especially when fitting new cables?

Any advice welcome! :smile:

Martin

2. Well i must have spent 40 minutes one day "mending" a puncture, but it didn't hold the air after all that. I'm pretty useless at puncture repairs and fitting tubes,so i wait till the following day then take the wheel to my local bike shop where they'll fit a new tube for a fiver.
    I reckon punctures come in threes.:pump:

3. Pauluk

Pauluk Senior Member

I carry two spare tubes and fit a new tube if I'm out when the puncture occurs, then I repair the punctured tube at home.

The bike shop wouldn't necessarily have noticed a bent rear derailleur and as long as the gear worked on a stand that would be good enough for them, in my experience. The problem may just be cable tension but its worth checking out.

MattHB, Fnaar and HLaB like this.
  4. Dragonwight

Dragonwight Guest

If they put new gear cables on then they should have re indexed it and should have noticed the bent hanger if indeed your friend is correct and it is bent. I use to repair tubes years ago but now they are dirt cheap and uber thin so I just carry a couple of spares.

5. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

This ^

2 tubes and a small 'kit' just in case. Repair at home in the warmth and dry ! Not that these 'issues' happen that often enough to be concerned about them.

6. Theseus

Theseus .

This ^

... but only 1 tube, kit in case and use Marathon Plus tyres.

7. MickL

MickL Über Member

two tubes, after blowing my both my inners hitting a cracked manhole cover, I had one spare and the it was impossible to fix the blown tubes, to much damage.
    I learnt a very important lesson that day, carry two allways.

8. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Man or Moose!

Carrying tubes is my preferred method, its just so much easier change a tube on the road than trying to find a puncture (unless you happen to puncture somewhere where there is a couple of inches of water to submerge it in sections). Finding a puncture at home though is no problem, so I just fix them at home and then re-use them.

You really should learn to do it yourself. Changing a tube is very very easy.

9. Robeh

Robeh Senior Member

+1 same here..

lordloveaduck likes this.
  10. Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture Internet Marketing bod

They don't make Marathon Plus for my old wheels :sad:

__________________________________________________________________________________
    Sent from a Victorian Terrace house, red brick, 1882 build.

11. Sittingduck

Sittingduck Guru

1 spare tube and kit. 2 tubes for long rides! Swap and get rolling again asap - patch at home, unless forced to do a roadside repair :dry:

12. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

Tubes aren't that cheap these days generally unless you bulk buy online.
    Sittingduck has summed it up.

13. 400bhp

400bhp Guru

See other thread on this in accessories section of the forum.

14. PpPete

PpPete Guru

A shop that replaces cables should be re-indexing the gears thereafter?
    Do that job properly, and it really doesnt take long with the bike on the stand, you'd have to be a blind muppet not to notice a bent hanger.
    Time for a change to a different shop IMO.

15. Peowpeowpeowlasers

Peowpeowpeowlasers Well-Known Member

If the hole is too large to repair, cut the tube completely and tie off each end with a tight knot. You'll have a small flat spot on the tyre but at least you'll get home.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice