Innocuous inoculation?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I'm booked for my first ever flu jab this lunchtime. This evening it's the weekly pub-run, about a 50k round trip (or could be longer if I meet with folks first). What's the worst that can happen?

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
You could catch 'flu?

As far as I know, if there is a problem, it will be immediately after the jab, or a day or two afterwards. That evening should be fine.

Reactions: C R

T4tomo

Guru
In the past 2 years I have gone straight from Flu jab to 1) playing a game of hockey 2) 30-ish mile cycle resp. No ill effects whatsoever. Unlike the time I helped offload a lorry load of straw bales straight after a tetanus booster and struggle to move my arm for a week.

presta

Guru
What's the worst that can happen?
I suppose a lot of the covid vaccine side effects are likely to apply to flu as well in principle, but there isn't the same fuss about it because it's not new. It's a bit like all the accounts of mobile phones making people ill, they didn't arise at the time people started using mobile radio, they started when mobile radio became new to the general public rather than just a handful of professional users. If something's new it gets attention, and if it gets attention it becomes the subject of all sorts of post hoc conclusions.

I had my first flu vaccine last January, and I was fine. I'm getting another in the next few days, now that I've had the covid booster. I had quite a violent reaction to a typhoid vaccine once even though the girlfriend didn't, and I suppose that luck of the draw applies to pretty much every vaccine/drug, but they don't get the same publicity. Most drugs have a horrendous list of side effects on the leaflet, including the OTC ones, but nobody pays any attention.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I'm booked for my first ever flu jab this lunchtime. This evening it's the weekly pub-run, about a 50k round trip (or could be longer if I meet with folks first). What's the worst that can happen?
Bill Gates will take over your mind and body, and compel you to drink more beer, and possibly even open a bag of pork scratchings.

I speak from experience of three Covid jabs.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
After umpteen flu jabs and 3 covid ones I never had a problem. Very slight sore arm at the injection point a couple of times but that may just be down to the person doing the jab.

I do not generally drink cider but once during a student charity day we went into the Sarrie Heid in Glasgow for lunch which included a couple of pints of their cider. Cannot remember much about the rest of the day.:ohmy:

Top Bottom