Insanely expensive bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I totally get spending the money if riding competitively - marginal gains and all that. You want to minimise inertia, friction and any time lost while changing gears. Plus you also want to minimise drag. Although eventually, you do get to a point of diminishing returns.

But if like me, you're just using a bike for a bit of exercise or "me time", shopping trips and the occasional away day, then there's no point spending silly money. I'm happy with my bikes, and they're probably far better than the engine that powers them anyway. :blush:

I have never spoken to anyone that isn't shocked and appalled at the amount I've spent on bicycles but I can't think of any way I could have spent it and gotten better value for my money :okay::laugh:

Yes, but you're not exactly buying off the shelf though, are you? :laugh:

I enjoy reading about your builds, because sometimes it's just getting technical just for technical's sake. I bet you can't put a price on the hours of fun (!) you've had tinkering with, at times, some really oddball stuff, just to prove it can be done. Like your Brompton, for instance. That was just insanely bonkers - but in a good way. :smile:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
My bike was enomously expensive. After discounts, it was £1080. It currently stands me 14.7p a mile, or 9.2p per km. At the time, it was insanely expensive to me. I had to give it some serious thought and research.
Its a gravel bike but I do long rides, short rides, pop to the shop or to a friend’s house. It goes on holiday and all sorts. It’s my go to, go everywhere and anywhere bike. After 6 months ownership, I sold the carbon roadie that I wasn’t riding (it was cheaper than the gravel bike) and the carbon CX.
I still have 2 x second hand steel roadies, both of which would have broken the bank when new. I have a pub bike too, an aluminium Dawes Galaxy, which I really rather like.

I think ‘insanely expensive’ is subjective. If I won a million pounds on ERNIE, I wouldn’t spend £10k on a bike, or a car. I might give the Genesis a really good LBS service so he feels as good as new again.

My bike was enomously expensive. After discounts, it was £1080. It currently stands me 14.7p a mile, or 9.2p per km. At the time, it was insanely expensive to me. I had to give it some serious thought and research.
Its a gravel bike but I do long rides, short rides, pop to the shop or to a friend’s house. It goes on holiday and all sorts. It’s my go to, go everywhere and anywhere bike. After 6 months ownership, I sold the carbon roadie that I wasn’t riding (it was cheaper than the gravel bike) and the carbon CX.
I still have 2 x second hand steel roadies, both of which would have broken the bank when new. I have a pub bike too, an aluminium Dawes Galaxy, which I really rather like.

I think ‘insanely expensive’ is subjective. If I won a million pounds on ERNIE, I wouldn’t spend £10k on a bike, or a car. I might give the Genesis a really good LBS service so he feels as good as new again.

^^^ this in spades :okay:

It makes sense for a do-it-all- bike, if only for the versatility.

Although I only spent a 1/10 of that on my do-it-all bike, because I bought it used at a good price. Although admittedly, at my height, choice is somewhat more limited than for a taller lady. :blush:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It is up to other people what they spend.

As for me... I spent £2k on bikes a couple of times around 20 years ago (roughly equivalent to about £3.5k now). So quite a lot of money, but not a crazy amount of money. I felt that I had got 95% of the benefits of a superbike for around 40% of the price. That seemed sensible.

It isn't likely that I will ever become wealthy enough to spend £10k on a bike now but if I DID have £10k spare to spend on cycling I would probably allocate about £6k for a couple of new bikes of different types and £4k to spend travelling to some great places to cycle.

If I somehow DID become fabulously wealthy, I hope that it wouldn't change me. I would spend £10k (or so) as above and become a philanthropist. I watched my dear old mum wither away and die from Parkinson's Disease so I would rather make a big donation to Parkinson's research rather than waste money on bikes that I don't really need.

Apart from anything else, I don't want to ride around on something so valuable that I would be constantly worried about it being stolen. (Yes, I could insure the bikes but that wouldn't be much consolation when Joe Mugger waved a machete at my head and demanded that I hand over the bike. [...] <--- That's where you point out that your average mugger wouldn't know a cheap bike from a superbike! :laugh:)

tyred

Legendary Member
It's entirely up to the individual on how much to spend or how much they can afford to spend.

Personally I'd be prefer to have a cheaper bike that I don't have to worry about being damaged and spend the money I saved on touring, nice cakes and beer.

In reality, a large chunk of the enjoyment I get from cycling comes from building up bikes from bits and pieces.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
'Insanely expensive bikes' seems to imply people buying them must be insane? But are they?
The Ferrari comparison is interesting. Mostly bought as a status symbol and to impress other enthusiasts. Race bikes might be bought for the same reason but I can understand why they might be bought as rather nice combination of form and function.
Would I buy one if I could afford it? Maybe, but the actual joy of the cycling part wouldn't increase for me, that's beyond price.

vickster

Legendary Member
What classes as "expensive" is very much a sliding scale. What might be spendy to me could well be peanuts to someone else.

It's not a straightforward thing though, because there are always other questions to ask prior to splurging on something, like "can I justify it", "will I use it enough" and such like.

There's also a big difference between off-the-shelf and custom built. I'd be more likely to pay for the latter rather than the former, because then it'd be exactly what I needed / wanted, built to fit me exactly, and made to last. Same goes for anything bespoke, really, not just bikes.
Precisely…I could happily afford a 10k bike but I could never justify it as a £2-3k bike is more than enough for me. I have no desire for £1k wheels or electronic shifting or a high end carbon frame (I could perhaps be persuaded into handbuilt steel :whistle: but with mid range components).
Similarly, I could have a 50k+ car but that would be even less justifiable given my annual mileage

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There are plenty of good value bike available. You want a new bike, and don't want to pay a lot for it, don't ... simple. If still beyond your budget, go second hand.

What do you think is the most a recreational cyclist should spend on a bike?
Absolutely none of my business.

Top Bottom