Inspired!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Recently back from afternoon/evening spin. On my way home I stopped as I saw an older guy pushing his bike up a hill and wondered whether he needed help. He thanked me but said that he'd already had someone who stopped and helped him and unfortunately his back tyre was terminal (they'd tried two new tubes - one of the old guy's and one of the other person's - before they realised that side wall had blown).

He said that he had a couple of miles to walk but he didn't mind. It was getting dark and was pretty cold so I said that I could pop home (I live in the village that he was just coming out of) and get the car and give him a lift. He wouldn't hear of it and said that he didn't mind the walk. I offered to walk with him for a while to make sure that he was ok and it was really cool. Really nice chap and we had a great chat.

As we got to the edge of his village I bid him good bye and was about to set off when I asked him how far he'd come: "Just on my way back. Went out into the sticks to see some friends this morning and just on my way back. So nearly done 25 miles this afternoon...not bad as it's my 89th birthday on Tuesday."

89!!!!!

Anyway he asked how far my ride had been...I looked at my shoes and thought about lying - a pitiful 7.5 miles.

I bid him goodbye and set off home. Realised that I've got to up my mileage!!! If he can do it...so can I!

p.s. I didn't lie btw...I just wasn't specific.

Last edited:

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
Recently back from afternoon/evening spin. On my way home I stopped as I saw an older guy pushing his bike up a hill and wondered whether he needed help. He thanked me but said that he'd already had someone who stopped and helped him and unfortunately his back tyre was terminal (they'd tried two new tubes - one of the old guy's and one of the other person's - before they realised that side wall had blown).

He said that he had a couple of miles to walk but he didn't mind. It was getting dark and was pretty cold so I said that I could pop home (I live in the village that he was just coming out of) and get the car and give him a lift. He wouldn't hear of it and said that he didn't mind the walk. I offered to walk with him for a while to make sure that he was ok and it was really cool. Really nice chap and we had a great chat.

As we got to the edge of his village I bid him good bye and was about to set off when I asked him how far he'd come: "Just on my way back. Went out into the sticks to see some friends this morning and just on my way back. So nearly done 25 miles this afternoon...not bad as it's my 89th birthday on Tuesday."

89!!!!!

Anyway he asked how far my ride had been...I looked at my shoes and thought about lying - a pitiful 7.5 miles.

I bid him goodbye and set off home. Realised that I've got to up my mileage!!! If he can do it...so can I!

p.s. I didn't lie btw...I just didn't wasn't specific.

Respect to him ... and you, pal. Not everyone would stop.

ScotiaLass

Guru

89!!!!!

p.s. I didn't lie btw...I just didn't wasn't specific.
Nice of you to stop and walk with him a bit :smile:
I regularly get overtaken on a hill by a retired gent on a road bike...how he has the breath to shout 'good morning' as he passes, amazes me :laugh:

Top Bottom