Installing 7-speed cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deejayen

Veteran
After removing the old cassette, I've had a go at installing the new one, but there's a bit of play in it.

The hub is a Shimano 105 FH-1055 which has a 7 speed freehub and 126mm OLN. The link is here https://www.kstoerz.com/freespoke/hub/383

There wasn't a spacer behind the old cassette, but it had been installed very tightly. I didn't notice if it had a bit of play.

The new cassette came with two spacers.

However, I saw a Youtube video where a guy explained how to install a 7-speed cassette onto an 9-speed hub, and used a spacer, but it still had play because the cassette had 2 rivets which butted up against the spacer and caused it to rock.

My cassette has 2 small rivets, and a hole where the third one should be (they're spaced like a Mercedes Benz 'star'). Is this likely to be the cause of my problem, or will I need a spacer?

I suspect the spacer supplied with the cassette will be too thick as there's not a lot of play - just enough to make the cassette rock. I tried tightening it pretty tight, but it didn't remove the play.

Should I file off the rivet heads, or is there a better solution...?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Roughly how deep are the spacers supplied with the new cassette? 4mm? I suspect they're supplied so you can use an 8/9/10sp freehub, as 7sp freehubs are relatively rare now (road wheel). Doesn't give you advice to resolve the 'bit of play' - sorry.

OP
OP
D

deejayen

Veteran
I've just measured the spacers. They're both 2mm, so a total of 4mm if used together.

The cassette has 6 sprockets riveted together, and the smallest sprocket is seperate. I've just tried fitting one 2mm spacer behind the cassette, but it pushes it out too far so that there's not enough of the freehub exposed to hold the small sprocket.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
A 7 speed cassette on a 1055 freehub (which is also 7 speed) goes on with no spacers, unless it has an 11T smallest cog (Hyperglide-C). These 11T cassettes were never designed for the 1055 freehub, but a 1mm spacer at the back (one of the castellated spacers from the old cassette) will (dropout clearance permitting) make it work, AND you need to remove the three bolts or rivets holding the new cassette together. Then you need to adjust the stop screws and indexing.

Exactly what cassette is it?

OP
OP
D

deejayen

Veteran
Thanks. It's a Shimano Acera CS-HG41. The play is the cassette moving on the freehub.

I think removing the rivets is probably the solution, as long as it the lockring will still tighten. The rivets aren't very tall, but they're enough to make the cassette rock.

I'm curious, though - I always thought Shimano were infallible! Why did they only install two rivets when there are holes for three? Did they intend this cassette to be used on a freehub which is more compatible than my Shimano 105 7-speed freehub?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You may need a 1mm spacer. You've got an early 1055 hub. I'm surprised the HG cassette will fit as the early freehubs were UG, and the fatter HG 'spline' won't fit a UG freehub.

I use 2 3mm spacers on my 8 speed hubs for 7 speed freewheels.

As has been said, take off the end of the riveted pins, then fit a 2mm spacer. This should work. A dremmel or a file should have the ends off, then the pins fall out.

midlife

Guru
Some early hubs were an HG /UG combo, might be one of them.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
You have an 11T cog on the CS-HG41-7, so remove the rivets and use a 1mm spacer. This is a combination that Shimano never intended - the 1055 freehub is designed for a 12T smallest cog.

OP
OP
D

deejayen

Veteran
I've come across documentation for the hub which says to use a CS-HG50 or CS-HG70 cassette, which seem to have a 12 or 13 tooth smallest sprocket. You live and learn!

Why is the 11-tooth sprocket not compatible with my hub? It seemed to go on okay last night, and the lockring which came with the new cassette tightened (other than the slight rocking).

Top Bottom