Installing Linux

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
You might need to do a bit of dicking around with BIOS. You might have to press one of the function keys on boot up. Your laptop should say which key it is as it is booting up, but you have to be quick to note it before it boots up Windows. I think it's F12 or F2, or it might be F8. From there there is usually some menu which allows you to set which memory device BIOS will look in first to find the operating system. Set it to look at the DVD first. Once you've saved your settings and rebooted again, is should load Linux Mint off your disk. Then there should be a menu option somewhere which allows you to install it on your hard drive. If you want you can partition your hard drive to give you the option of starting up either Windows or Linux Mint, but if it's a knackered old laptop and there is nothing on it you don't want to keep, I'd be tempted just install Linux over it.

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
If you want you can partition your hard drive to give you the option of starting up either Windows or Linux Mint, but if it's a knackered old laptop and there is nothing on it you don't want to keep, I'd be tempted just install Linux over it.
Thanks YF.

The laptop was bought about five years ago as a back up to the desktop, now I'm semi retired and my accounts can be done on the back of an envelope I don't have to worry about it. I intend to ditch Windows from it and spend the time getting the hang of the dark stuff.

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Right, I've gone nuclear and selected the option to erases the HD and fully install Mint. If it doesn't work so what, Windows was a pile of crap on the laptop anyway and has been from day one.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Right, I've gone nuclear and selected the option to erases the HD and fully install Mint. If it doesn't work so what, Windows was a pile of crap on the laptop anyway and has been from day one.

Well, I wouldn't say that about Windows, but the thing about going Linux is that if you cock up the installation, you can always try again.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
It's worth thinking about partitioning the disk with a separate partition for home. That way you can reinstall the operating system without having to overwrite your data. I can never work out how big to make the partitions though.

Reactions: C R

KneesUp

Guru
It's relatively easy (and in my experience it's never gone wrong) to re-size partitions in Linux though - just run GParted from a live USB stick or DVD. Best to leave it overnight though as it can take a while.

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
@Smokin Joe, where are you?!
Is that a rhetorical question?

Top Bottom