Instantly deflated

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Got the bike out of the garage at 8.15 this morning, gave both tyres a squeeze. The rear one was a bit soft so I got my track pump, bent down to undo the dust cap, and the whole valve came out of the rim like a shot. The top of the valve was stuck inside the dust cap. I managed to unscrew the cap and valve, then rethread it, pump up and away I went.
I had a "one of those days" feeling, but n the end I had a cracking Cambs/Essex ride with my mate Stuart.
Never had this happen before, have you?

HovR

Über Member
Do you mean the valve core came out with the dust cap? Strange.

I don't bother with dust caps on presta valves - I just find them an inconvenience when I pump up the tires.

U

User6179

Got the bike out of the garage at 8.15 this morning, gave both tyres a squeeze. The rear one was a bit soft so I got my track pump, bent down to undo the dust cap, and the whole valve came out of the rim like a shot. The top of the valve was stuck inside the dust cap. I managed to unscrew the cap and valve, then rethread it, pump up and away I went.
I had a "one of those days" feeling, but n the end I had a cracking Cambs/Essex ride with my mate Stuart.
Never had this happen before, have you?

Was the tube a continental , the cores on contis seem to come loose, make sure you test it in water after tightning as it could go flat mid ride as mine did yesterday .

It was fairly impressive.
I'm sure my front tube on the track bike was equally impressive when it exploded at some point in the past 18 hours, blowing the tyre off the rim at the same time :eek:

I changed the tyres yesterday, re-fitted new tyres, inflated them, and put the bike away. Just been to the shed and saw the front was very flat, assumed I'd pinched the tube, then saw the tyre hanging off the rim on the other side! The tube has given out along it's seam :surrender:

As for valve cores, it happens to me occasionally, I too nip them up with long pliers, and after I've done that I've never had one come loose again :thumbsup:

Norm

A valve core tool costs about a quid and works much better than long-nosed pliers. I've never had to revisit any that I've nipped up with the proper tool. :thumbsup:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Had it happen a couple of times with Vittoria tubes. Always give them an extra turn now just in case.

Top Bottom