Insurance Article

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thomas

the tank engine
The DM really must of had a slow news day ;)

I looked into a separate policy, but in a couple years I could buy a new bike so decided it wasn't worth it. The bike is insured (mostly) on the house insurance anyway.

My student house policies' bike cover (an extra) wouldn't go high enough for my bike (it's not a top end bike...the cover was just low).

It can usually be added to house insurance if your policy does not cover it, it is worth having third party insurance as well in this day and age, often as not also provided by your house insurance.

All my rides belong to the company so are insured under the company policy.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I have just changed my house and contents to insurance to Direct Line and they cover cycle's up to £ 1000 both at and away from the house.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We just moved our house insurance to Churchill. I think that two bikes with a total value of £850 cost us an extra £17 on the premium. That's not bad compared to Cycleguard which would probably have been about £80.

I have not read the small print yet, however!

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Only have one bike here, uninsured as I decided it was easier to save the same as you'd pay for the policy and stick it in the savings account. No worries about claims, plus I know I can garantee a new bike if it does go.

Bike is securely locked up inside the house. Or securely locked up inside the secure parking at work.

BenM

Veteran
My Orca is covered under my contents insurance, as are any other bikes in the household, up to a value of £2500, for which I pay a princely sum of £8 per year! The only condition is that the bike, when away from home, is locked.

B.

Insurance provider: Aviva
cost: £8.31ish

People should say who their home insurance is with and what bike cover it has or costs, that way the cyclists here could see who are the best insurers for cycling households.

It could even be a good sticky.

PK99

Legendary Member
4F said:
I have just changed my house and contents to insurance to Direct Line and they cover cycle's up to £ 1000 both at and away from the house.

I'm with Hiscox, who cover any number of non specified bike up to £1000 each, but will add specified bikes and endorse the policy to much higher values at no charge

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Catrike UK said:
People should say who their home insurance is with and what bike cover it has or costs, that way the cyclists here could see who are the best insurers for cycling households.

It could even be a good sticky.

That's a good idea. The problem is that insurance premiums are very much dictated by your postcode.

slowmotion said:
That's a good idea. The problem is that insurance premiums are very much dictated by your postcode.

Indeed, but it is the inclusive extras such as cycle insurance that can make all the difference, it's all well and good saving £30 but if you then have to pay £40 for cycle cover you could well have been better off with the more expensive policy.

PK99 said:
I'm with Hiscox, who cover any number of non specified bike up to £1000 each, but will add specified bikes and endorse the policy to much higher values at no charge

My business insurance is with Hiscox, it covers cycles away from the premisses upto £10k.

Top Bottom