Insurance for charity trip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Richmas101

in work we are planning a charity bike ride to raise money for a colleague. Our employers have agreed to provide bikes on the condition we get the appropriate insurance. However, we can't find a company to insure us for what we want. We are cycling from North to South Wales over 4 days on bikes supplied by our company. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Try and get in touch with CTC and see if they can advise you. Or even one of the companies who organise charity rides.

wintonbina

Über Member
Contact a travel insurance company (Martin Lewis website is a good start) and tell them you are taking a cycling holiday and Bob's your Uncle! That is for personal insurance not for the bike!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
in work we are planning a charity bike ride to raise money for a colleague. Our employers have agreed to provide bikes on the condition we get the appropriate insurance. However, we can't find a company to insure us for what we want. We are cycling from North to South Wales over 4 days on bikes supplied by our company. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Ask your company what the appropriate insurance is.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
My ponit is - what is "the lot". Give me a few minutes and I'd be able to come up with a list as long as your arm of possible insurnace covers. But if the employer is requesting it, then the employer should be defining it.

oldroadman

Veteran
Join BC at whatever level includes 3rd party cover, then at least you are protected against claims from other people? It might be that is what your employer wants, or maybe some kind of indemnity which keeps them out of the frame if something unpleasant happens. If the bikes themselves need to be insured, your employer as the owner needs to sort that out. There are plenty of offers in the market, just need to check - as mentioned Martin Lewis - moneysavingexpert.com

mmmmartin

Random geezer
You might find the bikes are your belongings and thus covered against theft by house insurance, as are your other belongings of various types. You won't need health insurance unless you are Johnny Foreigner. Third party liability sounds very impressive to the untrained ear - useful - I suggest you all simply join the CTC and tell your employers you each have £1m third party liability, that should keep them quiet. If you join a specific CTC group the ride leader will have insurance as a ride leader inside the UK. Exactly what the difference is between insurance as a ride leader and the insurance cover you all get as bog-standard CTC members I cannot say - in spite of spending some time trying to find out.

Top Bottom