Insurance renewal.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris-suffolk

We are paying nearly £100/month to insure a Passat and a Captur. In hindsight we should have sold my car when the insurance was about to lapse in March but we didn't have time and didn't want to rush a sale. We will definitely be selling my Passat but I'm guessing as we're paying monthly, we'll be charged a lot to cancel the insurance early.

Out of interest - does anyone know how that would work? If we paid £540 in full then we'd get back the remaining full months, minus Admin fee and early cancellation fee. But if paying monthly??

How much is the Passat? - I've got one of those and it's £230 for the year - so your other car is up at about £1000 - ouch!!

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
How much is the Passat? - I've got one of those and it's £230 for the year - so your other car is up at about £1000 - ouch!!

Nope, I have a claim and it's £540 for the year. My partner is also on it and she has points for speeding. Her Captur is a little cheaper but still 400 and something for us both

johnblack

Über Member
Over the past six years mine has been £251, £255, £209, £200, £187 & £209 for a RS Megane 265. This year was the only time that staying with my existing insurer was cheaper than the price comparison sites.

However, my modest premium has been off set by paying for my daughter, who is 18 and just passed her test - £1,845 for an Aygo :wacko:

I had to insure my daughter on her Aygo, 17, managed just under 1.5k. Some of the horror stories she's told me about her friends premiums are unreal.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Changing tack slightly, I sorted my parents house insurance out last year after a big increase and got it down to about £235, just got the renewal through, gone up to £513. They're 94 and 87, how the hell to do they expect them to afford it. :angry:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I had to insure my daughter on her Aygo, 17, managed just under 1.5k. Some of the horror stories she's told me about her friends premiums are unreal.

That's why son no. 2 got a Peugeot Tepee. Group 2, slow, cheap to repair, driven steadily by old people and no street cred. He paid £800 fully comp for his first year, currently paying £650 fully comp with 2 years protected NCB.

Drago

Legendary Member
That's why son no. 2 got a Peugeot Tepee. Group 2, slow, cheap to repair, driven steadily by old people and no street cred. He paid £800 fully comp for his first year, currently paying £650 fully comp with 2 years protected NCB.

Your boy is a man of forward thinking style and substance. An eccentric English gent of the old school. I applaud his quirky style and inherent common sensisness.

johnblack

Über Member

I mean fair play to the boy for driving the Tepee, but there isn't a chance my daughter would drive one, she point blank refused a Fabia Monte Carlo I managed to find on the cheap, they can be extra picky when it isn't their money.

chris-suffolk

I mean fair play to the boy for driving the Tepee, but there isn't a chance my daughter would drive one, she point blank refused a Fabia Monte Carlo I managed to find on the cheap, they can be extra picky when it isn't their money.

That's easy to solve. If they don't want what you're happy to pay for, then they go without. They normally come round.

johnblack

Über Member
:blink:

Wowsers. I'd have loved a car like that when I was younger

Yeah it was a really nice looking car, but the badge has a bit of stigma still with the youth. My eldest will be insured on my company car from July, currently it's an L&K Kodiaq, she's debating whether to wait until I get my next one in September (which is a Q5) before she takes advantage of the perk. I think she'll fold and drive the Skoda.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Youngest son has just bought a Mazda 2 , well a bit of help from bank of mum and Dad over the years . Still learning but ready for his test, so a bit of extra motivation now .
Insurance was errr stupid when I think what my other boys paid with their first cars , one being a Mini Cooper .

Top Bottom