Insurance renewal.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Had the above yesterday and the premium was hiked up by 51% - ! :wacko:
So as usual, I did the 'comparethemeercat' check and was surprised to observe that most of the other quotes were of a similar amount as my new one. Apparently, it's due to massive insurance claims for lots of reasons; you can research the reasons yourselves.
However, despite my putting in 'retired' as my 'occupation' in all of them, my current broker was the only one who gave me a discount; around 30%, based on that simple fact which actually dropped my new premium to a little below last years figure - ! ^_^
Result - ! :okay:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They are all up. I've done a Meerkat for the Aygo as I insure it for 'the kids' to drive - fortunately it looks to be the same (still £800 like)

markemark

Über Member
A number of reasons. Keyless thefts massive rise, inflation and difficulty sourcing parts pushing up repairs are all major factors. Add in insurers' greed and that's the world we now live in.
Apparently a number of JLRs were returned to showrooms earlier in the year as the owners in some postcodes simply could not get any insurance.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I suppose it will put some cars off the road at least.

I think it’ll simply increase the number of uninsured drivers. After all, the fine is typically a fraction of the insurance premium and the chances of getting caught are so slim now with far fewer traffic cops around.

Petrol stations should have ANPR linked to MID and DVLA. No tax, no MOT, or no insurance means no fuel. That would take thousands of vehicles off the road.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
My 62 plate Jazz was £173.. Increased to £286 as a renewal with Churchill and that was the cheapest quote I got when cheing the usual comparison sites.
The only way I could gain was by getting cashback from somewhere to reinsure with Churchill!

I don't condone it but I see why people take the risk of not being insured! 😔

geocycle

Legendary Member
Mine went up £140 or 60% with Direct line for an 8 year old ford c max. They offered to half it when I haggled. However, I used Martin Lewis site and got a quote from RBS for £10 less than I’m currently paying. Been with Direct line for 20 years so sad to leave them. One tip from ML is to shop around about 20 days before the expiry date.

Last edited:

mustang1

Guru
A number of reasons. Keyless thefts massive rise, inflation and difficulty sourcing parts pushing up repairs are all major factors. Add in insurers' greed and that's the world we now live in.
Apparently a number of JLRs were returned to showrooms earlier in the year as the owners in some postcodes simply could not get any insurance.

This is also one of the advantages of PCP'ing the car: easy returns.

On a side note: I notice car drivers going to the shops and then putting steering locks on their cars. That must be inconvenient. They have a car with the convenience of keyless go, then they make it extra inconvenient with the steering lock. I would rather just not have keyless go.

mustang1

Guru
Mine went up £140 or 60% with Direct line for an 8 year old ford c max. They offered to half it when I haggled. However, I used Martin Lewis site and got a quote from RBS for £10 less than I’m currently paying. Been with Direct line for £20 years so sad to leave them. One tip from ML is to shop around about 20 days before the expiry date.

What is it with customer loyalty these days? It's like none of these companies give a crap.

markemark

Über Member
This is also one of the advantages of PCP'ing the car: easy returns.

On a side note: I notice car drivers going to the shops and then putting steering locks on their cars. That must be inconvenient. They have a car with the convenience of keyless go, then they make it extra inconvenient with the steering lock. I would rather just not have keyless go.

We disabled keyless but still use a steering lock

Top Bottom