Insurance renewal.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Well if the airport carpark fire doesn't have the insurance companies using customers to recoup their costs, the floods will. I was just told there's a place in Derby with many many ( hundreds perhaps )flood damaged cars. Given the wider damage caused by storm Babet (sp), its just another nail in the coffin for the average driver....

midlife

Guru
This year, for the first time in god knows how many years, I'm going back to a good old fashioned broker. Had enough fannying about for hours on end trying to speak to a human being whenever there's a problem. The broker is more expensive than the comparison sites are offering but I'm hoping I'll at least have someone answering the phone and hopefully helping out when needed. It works out roughly £30 more using a broker but they're offering the same level of insurance but breakdown cover is with the RAC and not Green Flag, that appears to be the only difference.

P.S. Was insured with Churchill last time. Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole ever again. Fred Karno's Circus springs to mind.

I've used Keith Michaels insurance brokers for the last 15 years or so. Takes all the stress out of the process

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Well if the airport carpark fire doesn't have the insurance companies using customers to recoup their costs, the floods will. I was just told there's a place in Derby with many many ( hundreds perhaps )flood damaged cars. Given the wider damage caused by storm Babet (sp), its just another nail in the coffin for the average driver....

Insurance isn’t a charity. They are here to make a profit. And many don’t make much at the moment. Everyone is being squeezed.
We are all pooling our risk so if costs go up then everyone’s premiums will rise.
But remember that you are only legally required to have third party cover, so the fire and floods won’t pay out anyway unless you have cover for fire and flooding.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
This year, for the first time in god knows how many years, I'm going back to a good old fashioned broker. Had enough fannying about for hours on end trying to speak to a human being whenever there's a problem. The broker is more expensive than the comparison sites are offering but I'm hoping I'll at least have someone answering the phone and hopefully helping out when needed. It works out roughly £30 more using a broker but they're offering the same level of insurance but breakdown cover is with the RAC and not Green Flag, that appears to be the only difference.

P.S. Was insured with Churchill last time. Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole ever again. Fred Karno's Circus springs to mind.

I hadn't made a claim in 25 years of driving, until last year. I was with Tesco. I have nothing to compare their service to, but they were reasonable for my expectations. The claim was done online and took 10 minutes, I had emails on progress. The only thing they were bad at was chasing up the repair company who ended up taking 5 months to tell me that they could no longer repair my car (yes really) so Tesco found somewhere else and it was done within 2 weeks.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Just checked costs if Daughter passes test this week. Wahhhhh over £2k :B)

I know, it's staggering. What kid can afford £160+/month just for insurance! Luckily we persuaded my s/s to get a moped, after he lost confidence on his bicycle and work/college was too far away. It's still about £40/month but much cheaper to run too.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I know, it's staggering. What kid can afford £160+/month just for insurance! Luckily we persuaded my s/s to get a moped, after he lost confidence on his bicycle and work/college was too far away. It's still about £40/month but much cheaper to run too.

I'm currently paying £70pm for the Aygo, son plus daughter provisional. Renewal increases have pushed this to £110pm, but assuming she passes, that then put's that up another £60pm. Bonkers.

Jody

Stubborn git
This is one of the points raised for the increase; apparently keyless entry is a doodle to bypass for those with the IT kit. :whistle:

Range Rovers getting impossible to insure in London due to ease of theft (this is from BIL who is a motor insurer).

Hole in the boot gives you access to the wiring loom. It's a specific date range that are uninsurable

FlvDzewXEAAfz67.png

johnblack

Über Member
I'm currently paying £70pm for the Aygo, son plus daughter provisional. Renewal increases have pushed this to £110pm, but assuming she passes, that then put's that up another £60pm. Bonkers.

I'm just re-insuring my daughters (20) Aygo, have it in her name, with my wife as a named driver, quote is £700, I think the insurance hikes have been counteracted by her having three years no claims.

Drago

Legendary Member
Mine has gone up as a result of moving house.

It's a brand new street, first houses were occupied in May, and there has been no autocrime at all in the entire postcode. I know this as one of my near neighbours is a bobby I worked with.

Yet despite have a zero autocrime record they bent me over for another 80 sheets.

gbb

Legendary Member
Grandaughter (18) is doing well so far, passed the first part no problem and she is looking for the lowest insurance group car to buy...a Pug 107 ?or ia Citroën C1 perhaps, she's got £3k toward her insurance saved, hopefully that will cover it.
Weve just transferred £500 to her, help ease the pain. There's nothing much for youngsters to feel happy about ATM.
Christ, I paid 2 weeks wages for a year's insurance when I passed at 17, that'd be the equivalent of roughly £600 to £700 now ?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Grandaughter (18) is doing well so far, passed the first part no problem and she is looking for the lowest insurance group car to buy...a Pug 107 ?or ia Citroën C1 perhaps, she's got £3k toward her insurance saved, hopefully that will cover it.
Weve just transferred £500 to her, help ease the pain. There's nothing much for youngsters to feel happy about ATM.
Christ, I paid 2 weeks wages for a year's insurance when I passed at 17, that'd be the equivalent of roughly £600 to £700 now ?

It's all about risk and number of claims made against that certain model of car (among other things). You may well find that an "older" person's car is cheaper to insure even though it's more powerful i.e fewer claims are made on fuddy duddy cars because they are usually driven by sensible drivers, hence premiums are lower. My cousin's lad insured an old range rover for half the price of a Saxo or Fiesta. If you have the time and patience, get quotes for all the affordable decent cars in the area and see which one comes out cheapest. These days it's more about finding the car to fit the insurance, rather than insuring a car you've just bought

Reactions: gbb

johnblack

Über Member

The Aygo is the same car, we paid slightly more for learner insurance on it, but the company (Marmalade) guarantee to hold the premium after they pass. Need a black box, but made the first years insurance much cheaper, think it was £900

Reactions: gbb

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Avoiding a black box as the car is driven by me, son (mainly) and will occasionally be driven by daughter. Son put's some miles on it at weekend, and usually travels in the early hours getting to Motor Racing events.

johnblack

Über Member
Avoiding a black box as the car is driven by me, son (mainly) and will occasionally be driven by daughter. Son put's some miles on it at weekend, and usually travels in the early hours getting to Motor Racing events.

yeah, we went with one for the first year and got rid of it on renewal, it did make things far cheaper but there were complications with it.

Top Bottom