Insurance renewal.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iluvmybike

Über Member
My van (private van not used for business) insurer wanted to hike my premium by over 50% for no reason - full no claims, no pedning claims. Shopped around and got identical cover for way less. Rang the current one and the excuse was the cost of claims had shot up etc - even though I have never had a claim. I offered them the opportunity to give me a better quote - they reduced it but only about £50, So I swapped. End of story...

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Martin Lewis is covering this topic on his Money Show next Tuesday night.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
yeah, we went with one for the first year and got rid of it on renewal, it did make things far cheaper but there were complications with it.

It's also the fact that three of us will need to sync an app with the box, or use an app if driving it, they can sod off. What if I leave the app on when cycling - not so sure the insurance will be happy with me taking 'the car' off road ! :whistle: ;)

fossyant

The renewal for the Aygo has landed and it's about the same as last year - slight increase (£887), which is way cheaper than the comparison sites (50% increase to £1.2k and £2.4k for a new driver). So far so good. Daughter's test is this morning, so we'll await the outcome, and then I may give them a call rather than press a button on the computer. Gulp and double gulp. :cry:

Alex321

Veteran
Grandaughter (18) is doing well so far, passed the first part no problem and she is looking for the lowest insurance group car to buy...a Pug 107 ?or ia Citroën C1 perhaps, she's got £3k toward her insurance saved, hopefully that will cover it.
Weve just transferred £500 to her, help ease the pain. There's nothing much for youngsters to feel happy about ATM.
Christ, I paid 2 weeks wages for a year's insurance when I passed at 17, that'd be the equivalent of roughly £600 to £700 now ?

There is a list of cars by insurance groups here
https://www.carinsurancegroups.co.uk/groups-list/

A couple of the C1 models are in group 1, others are group 2 or 3. The Peugeot 107 are all in group 3.

Reactions: gbb

Alex321

Veteran
It's also the fact that three of us will need to sync an app with the box, or use an app if driving it, they can sod off. What if I leave the app on when cycling - not so sure the insurance will be happy with me taking 'the car' off road ! :whistle: ;)

I think the app will know when you are in the car, because the "black box" will not be present on your bike. I presume it connects tio that via bluetooth.

fossyant

I think the app will know when you are in the car, because the "black box" will not be present on your bike. I presume it connects tio that via bluetooth.

Still not fitting one, as son will be driving it a fair amount, and given that he's out at 'odd times' it won't help - he went out at 1:30am the other night to rescue a friend who had crashed his car. Came in at gone 3am - woke us up - we weren't happy - he's done it a few times, going out to rescue friends with broken down cars.

Money supermarket website is easier to search for insurance groups as you can search by registration. https://www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/car-insurance-group-checker-tool/

My insurance isn‘t due until next February so will need to wait and see what my renewal will be. It was only £213 last time but, with the way things are going, I'm fully expecting it to break the £300 barrier again.

johnblack

Über Member
Still not fitting one, as son will be driving it a fair amount, and given that he's out at 'odd times' it won't help - he went out at 1:30am the other night to rescue a friend who had crashed his car. Came in at gone 3am - woke us up - we weren't happy - he's done it a few times, going out to rescue friends with broken down cars.

As long as there isn't a curfew on the policy, when he drives the car is irrelevant.

fossyant

As long as there isn't a curfew on the policy, when he drives the car is irrelevant.

Aye, but it's his 'driving' I'm more worried about. It's not even his car - it's one we've bought for him/daughter mainly as a back up as his car is a 'track car' now, and mainly in a stare of upgrade (repair).

fossyant

Daughter has passed her test. Pressed the 'update policy' button, closed my eyes, an additional £90. Paying just short of £1k to insure the Aygo upon renewal which is great (ish), seeing as every other quote was £2k plus for a new policy.

Buck

Guru
Intersting information from Axa when sending me my increased home insurance renewal

Screenshot 2023-11-18 at 12.04.13.png

Top Bottom