Insurance renewal.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've just moved house so went on to Tesco car insurance website to change the address. I have moved from a very deprived postcode to one of the more desired areas in the city, yet my premium has gone up £10.34. Not too bad, but yet again unfathomable how they calculate the risk factors by area, given that my new area has less car crime than the old one.

Alex321

Veteran
I've just moved house so went on to Tesco car insurance website to change the address. I have moved from a very deprived postcode to one of the more desired areas in the city, yet my premium has gone up £10.34. Not too bad, but yet again unfathomable how they calculate the risk factors by area, given that my new area has less car crime than the old one.

It isn't just about car crime statistics though. It is about the overall risk profile of an area, including claims history, and the cost of those claims.

Remembering that a rather large proportion of accidents happen within a few miles of home, if you are in a wealthier area, any minor bumps you have are likely to cost more to repair the other person's vehicle, even if yours is still relatively chep.

Mike_P

Guru
I moved 1/2 mile on the same estate but as the new house was beyond the town council boundary the insurers decided to charge me for living in a rural area!

Drago

Legendary Member

I mentioned this before. For a while I was the schmuck given the job or sorting out the crime data for the farce website every month. So, when I moved house back then I knew my car insurance would go down as the autocrime, burglary and recordable RTC figures for me new neighbourhood were much lower. Right?

Wrong.

Predictably, the insurance when upm justification being its a higher risk area. When I challenged them about the actual data proving it to be a lower risk area they coughed embrarassingly and put it back down without wny argument.

I don't car what anyone says, I'm convinced they charge us according to a formula what they think each customer can afford and/or tolerate, what the market willbear, and that has little to do with any actual "risk" in the bulk of cases. When the revolution comes the insurers will be lined up next to the solicitors, estate agents and politicians while they smoke their last cigarette.

gbb

Legendary Member
Just got my renewal offer from Direct Line
Mazda 3, 2018, 2.0 litre. Fully comp, protected NCs.
Was £42 a month
Now £71 a month.

Well that's not gonna happen, time to shop around.

Tbf, I never get cheap insurance, on street parking , probably a poor Post Code area.
No real claims in the last few years...

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I’ve had my renewal quote for my breakdown cover, exactly the same as last year at £40 For national cover, at home, onward travel and misfuelling.

I was able to get it cheaper from a competitor through Compare the Market, so this year it’s only costing me £21 for the same cover.

The RAC want £236!

CXRAndy

Guru
You need to shop around, my direct line renewal quote for Nissan Leaf was £1100

I got it elsewhere for £650 same cover same drivers

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
My renewal quote went up from the just-sub-£200 I was paying last year to over £360 *EDIT - actually £177-£360, so more than doubled*.

Best alternative I could do on the comparison sites was about £260.

I used to knock it down by putting my ex as a named driver but obviously can't any more... tried a female friend which initially worked however the quote went up as soon as I clarified that she'd only been a UK citizen for 20yrs, not her whole life :rolleyes:

I've also reduced quotes in the past by putting my mum on them, however sadly it seems she's now past the age where she's seen as more of a risk than a benefit, so that pushed the quote up to... can see why tbh :sad:

So.. a 45% hike and I had the pleasure of the previous insurer (esure) auto-renewing prior to the renewal date (as usual with me everything was last minute), without notification or documentation; meaning I didn't notice until I saw it on my bank statement weeks later.

The anxiety of having to fight these f*ckers for a refund haunted me over the holiday while I couldn't contact them.. to be fair I got a full refund after "only" an hour spent listening to their inane and irrelevant hold drivel on the phone... finally getting some joy with their online messaging facilty.

To be fair once I got to speak to someone they somewhat surprisingly rolled over pretty quickly; probably because they know they have no right to take the money and make enough from those who don't complain about their policies being auto-renewed at exhorbitant cost.

To compound this, before renewal I checked my policy in my online esure account and there was zero documentation present.. not recommended and tbh the only good thing about dealing them was not having to fight them too hard to get a refund on money they should never have taken anyway... although it still wasted an hour of my life.

A number of reasons. Keyless thefts massive rise, inflation and difficulty sourcing parts pushing up repairs are all major factors. Add in insurers' greed and that's the world we now live in. Apparently a number of JLRs were returned to showrooms earlier in the year as the owners in some postcodes simply could not get any insurance.
Great - so we all have to subsidise the folley of all these shallow d*ckheads in their brand new Chelsea tractors?

Mine went up £140 or 60% with Direct line for an 8 year old ford c max. They offered to half it when I haggled. However, I used Martin Lewis site and got a quote from RBS for £10 less than I’m currently paying. Been with Direct line for 20 years so sad to leave them. One tip from ML is to shop around about 20 days before the expiry date.
Don't get attached to any of these companies - customer loyalty is no longer valued; in fact if you look at the whole "out of contract" / renewal situation it's apparently viewed with cynicism; even active contempt. Like banks, mobile phone providers etc, these people are not your friends and will wring you out for the last penny given the chance - don't make the mistake of treating them any better.

This is also one of the advantages of PCP'ing the car: easy returns.

On a side note: I notice car drivers going to the shops and then putting steering locks on their cars. That must be inconvenient. They have a car with the convenience of keyless go, then they make it extra inconvenient with the steering lock. I would rather just not have keyless go.
It's ridiculous and echoes the inherent stupidity of the constant marketing-driven "tech for the sake of it" nature of consumer goods; including bikes. Products are loaded up with spurious, often pointless and even detrimental rubbish that adds cost and complexity in growing desperation to fleece punters into "upgrading" to the latest model.

What is it with customer loyalty these days? It's like none of these companies give a crap.
Indeed - as above.

Well, that was a cheery thread to start the day on!

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Up from £196 last year to £320 this year. So 63% increase. Same car, no claims made, not moved house. Just ridiculous. Tried various comparison sites and could have saved £10 but figured it wasn't worth the hassle. Tesco car insurance get the prize for biggest piss takers, wanting £700+.
If there is a similar increase next year it will be goodbye car, and no replacement. I am at the stage of my life where a few minor changes of habit will make it possible. It will be inconvenient but I look forward to telling the insurance company to go and do one when they try to rob me for no good reason. No VED, no depreciation, no tyres, servicing, and no petrol. I won't have to work any more! Seriously, I won't. I only work part time these days anyway, to pay bills for life's little extras like running a car. Which is only a tool for getting to work, mainly. So why do we do this? It is nuts!!

Top Bottom